Choosing a Stove/Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok... I went and chatted with the wonderful folks at Preston Trading Post today. Kerry was attentive, knowledgeable, not pushy, and exceptionally helpful - even when my kids were bouncing around.

They didn't have the BK Ashford insert on the floor but they did have other BKs to investigate. The more interesting outcome was my wife fell in love.... with the Jotul f500. The Jotuls have always been lookers but wasn't even on my radar prior to her falling for the look. Fortunately, there have been some threads here recently on the model overall. I understand this is a new design so it's somewhat untested. Initial reports seem fairly positive with the potential exception of burn times. My primary concern with it would be baking ourselves out of the room though - especially if folks are finding it challenging to turn the burn rate down. It would sit on our hearth well and it makes the dimensions with the short leg kit.

Obviously the aesthetics aren't the only factor here and I could probably convince the wife it's not the right fit for us. I'm just not sure if that's actually the case. Any thoughts or reactions to this option?

Ok... I went and chatted with the wonderful folks at Preston Trading Post today. Kerry was attentive, knowledgeable, not pushy, and exceptionally helpful - even when my kids were bouncing around.

They didn't have the BK Ashford insert on the floor but they did have other BKs to investigate. The more interesting outcome was my wife fell in love.... with the Jotul f500. The Jotuls have always been lookers but wasn't even on my radar prior to her falling for the look. Fortunately, there have been some threads here recently on the model overall. I understand this is a new design so it's somewhat untested. Initial reports seem fairly positive with the potential exception of burn times. My primary concern with it would be baking ourselves out of the room though - especially if folks are finding it challenging to turn the burn rate down. It would sit on our hearth well and it makes the dimensions with the short leg kit.

Obviously the aesthetics aren't the only factor here and I could probably convince the wife it's not the right fit for us. I'm just not sure if that's actually the case. Any thoughts or reactions to this option?
I would recommend a highly convective stove or insert. Something that has sideshields and convection deck, or a jacket, like Pacific Energy T5. I think you would benefit from staying away from highly radiant stoves.

I would recommend a highly convective stove or insert. Something that has sideshields and convection deck, or a jacket, like Pacific Energy T5. I think you would benefit from staying away from highly radiant stoves.
Thanks for the input SailrMike
Are you specifically speaking of the T5 insert or the freestandwr address well? I know PE talks about the “convective shell” on the freestander but I’ve seen little about it outside of their marketing materials. I was assuming the primary thing that would make any of our choices convective is fans so I had resigned myself to the blower kit if we went w/ a freestander.
Do you think the design of the T5 freestanding stove makes it notably more convective than something like the f500 assuming both are setup w/ their blower kit?
Thanks again

Do you think the design of the T5 freestanding stove makes it notably more convective than something like the f500 assuming both are setup w/ their blower kit?
The T5 is mostly convective and slowly radiant, like a soapstone stove. The castiron jacket acts as a buffer and heatsink. The F500 is mostly radiant, but can be made more convective with a blower.

The T5 is mostly convective and slowly radiant, like a soapstone stove. The castiron jacket acts as a buffer and heatsink. The F500 is mostly radiant, but can be made more convective with a blower.
Thank you
Are there other freestanding models that use this approach or is this mostly a PE design? The T5 doesn't appear to have a short leg available and wouldn't fit my space

What happened with the T5 insert? What is the lintel height of the fireplace?

insert would work
we have 27.5" in height so we have more than enough for the insert
does the insert have the same convective design benefits? is it one of the tapered firebox designs?

it's interesting to me that PE doesn't appear to be making any claims regarding burn times
What happened with the T5 insert? What is the lintel height of the fireplace?

My family and I moved to a new home late this past summer. As the weather has shifted here in CT the one thing about our old house I've been missing is the wood stove. We had a Regency i2400 insert and I loved burning it nights or weekends. Now that Covid has me working from home (through at least July 2021) I'd be using a stove that much more.

The stove is going in an existing fireplace or on the hearth in front of it, and we're open to inserts or freestanding. The house is 2700sqft and the room the stove goes in has vaulted ceilings, an external chimney, and is on one corner of the 1st floor. Suffice it to say, we're not using it as a primary heater to be run 24/7. It's supplemental and likely more of a first floor heater when running. We have 2 thermostats/zones so I could see us using it to avoid burning oil on the 1st floor during the day for as long as I'm working from home.

Right now I'm kind of torn between 2 fairly different options.
1. Fireplace Xtrordinair / Lopi Large flush insert
2. Woodstock progress hydrid (sitting on hearth and rear ducted through chimney)

The insert requires no shift to our hearth setup so it's pretty much plug and play but gives us a great looking stove with very little hassle. The Woodstock is notably more efficient, better burn times, better reviews, "softer" soapstone heat, etc. BUT it would require me to replace the mantle with something non-combustible.

Aesthetics matter and I'm inclined to get the biggest stove I can without augmenting the hearth (with potential exception of mantle). Are there other stoves I should be looking at or a clear reason to elect one of these over the other that I'm just not seeing? Anyone else have one of these, loving it, and simply couldn't fathom considering an alternative? I'm trying to upload pics of the space and floorplan

Thanks in advance all!
We are located in CT and have a new Fireplace Xtrordinair Large flush insert along with a somewhat compromised floorpan. So far, so good. Happy to share liner notes.

We are located in CT and have a new Fireplace Xtrordinair Large flush insert along with a somewhat compromised floorpan. So far, so good. Happy to share liner notes.
Would love to know how it’s going
So you have the newer model that isn’t a hybrid? How are the burn times? Is your layout at all like mine? What type of room to room temp variance are you seeing? How much of the house would you say it’s actually heating to your comfort?
thanks!

Ok so I've been marinating on this a bit and, per the guidance here, I'm specifically reconsidering my initial desire to put in the largest firebox I could fit. I certainly know there is likely to be a notable difference in temp from room to room based on proximity to stove, but I don't want to cook myself out of the family room to get the adjacent rooms tolerable. So I'm considering slightly smaller models and leaning more to a cat stove to better manage the output. Basically I've gone from thinking "biggest I can fit" to "biggest that wont cook me out of my room"

I've added the BK Ashford insert and the Hampton HI500 to my list but I'm not certain BK is really available in CT as their website doesn't give me anything.

Any additional thoughts on these vs the initial options of FX Large flush insert or Woodstock Progress? I'm open to trying to add a vent/duct to try and draw some of the heat trapped in the vaulted ceiling area into the upstairs, but that wouldn't be a short term project

Thanks
We have dealers in CT. Simply PM your zip code.

insert would work
we have 27.5" in height so we have more than enough for the insert
does the insert have the same convective design benefits? is it one of the tapered firebox designs?

it's interesting to me that PE doesn't appear to be making any claims regarding burn times
All inserts are convectively designed in order to work well in a fireplace. Those that project a bit out onto the hearth will be a bit more radiant than an insert that is flush faced.
Burn times, area heated, etc. are mostly marketing claims. There are so many variables that are house and regionally specific. The firebox size is more of a determinant. The T5 will provide an 8-10 hr burn on average, but that could be as short as 4 hrs if the insert is pushed harder for heat.

682DE100-B7E5-426F-ADFC-1A7832FFF0FF.jpeg
I just realized I never shared a chimney picture
I know there has been a lot of conversation regarding draft/overdraft so I thought I’d include this in case it impacts anyone opinion

View attachment 269301just realized I never shared a chimney picture
I know there has been a lot of conversation regarding draft/overdraft so I thought I’d include this in case it impacts anyone opinion
Does that have an insulated liner?

there is a propane insert in the fireplace currently and I'm not certain what's there. I'm assuming i'll need the standard lining when i switch over. Is there something about the picture that would concern you regarding liner?

there is a propane insert in the fireplace currently and I'm not certain what's there. I'm assuming i'll need the standard lining when i switch over. Is there something about the picture that would concern you regarding liner?
No sir...just think a high quality insulated liner on exterior masonry chimney are a great idea. Others can chime-in, but a 6" insulated liner is 8" o.d. as I recall. Will that fit?

Reactions: avsmusic1
No sir...just think a high quality insulated liner on exterior masonry chimney are a great idea. Others can chime-in, but a 6" insulated liner is 8" o.d. as I recall. Will that fit?
Not sure but it’s certainly a conversation I’ll plan on having w/ the installer
Thanks

Would love to know how it’s going
So you have the newer model that isn’t a hybrid? How are the burn times? Is your layout at all like mine? What type of room to room temp variance are you seeing? How much of the house would you say it’s actually heating to your comfort?
thanks!

We can get several hours of burn time on our non-cat unit, though we have not tried with any significant diligence to attain an all-night burn. I would put the odds of that succeeding as somewhat remote given the absence of a catalyst, but possible if we pack every nook and cranny with wood. We have 9’ ceilings on the first floor and the fireplaced room opens up to a larger open space on one side and to a large, mostly open foyer roughly on the other. After a few hours, the second floor of our 3,000+ square foot home starts to warm up quite nicely, though we have not faced any profoundly cold days or nights yet.

Though we have not measured room to room variances, the entire first floor gets extremely comfortable. This evening, in the rainy mid 30’s, we had more heat than needed. Our tall chimney spurs considerable draft, which helps our cause. We love the large window — a major selling point for us. Relatively few large-scale units could fit into our fireplace, so our options were a bit limited. The Travis units seemed a bit more substantial than the Regency models (which are cat units and much worth a look). We also liked the Osburn and its sister company’s inserts, but they could not quite fit our opening. Pacific, Blaze King, and I believe one or two others also would not fit or conform to code for us given our constrained fireplace maw.

Burn time perhaps aside, we are thrilled with the stove, so far. Likely characteristic across brands, our blower element is a bit loud, but effective.

We can get several hours of burn time on our non-cat unit, though we have not tried with any significant diligence to attain an all-night burn. I would put the odds of that succeeding as somewhat remote given the absence of a catalyst, but possible if we pack every nook and cranny with wood. We have 9’ ceilings on the first floor and the fireplaced room opens up to a larger open space on one side and to a large, mostly open foyer roughly on the other. After a few hours, the second floor of our 3,000+ square foot home starts to warm up quite nicely, though we have not faced any profoundly cold days or nights yet.

Though we have not measured room to room variances, the entire first floor gets extremely comfortable. This evening, in the rainy mid 30’s, we had more heat than needed. Our tall chimney spurs considerable draft, which helps our cause. We love the large window — a major selling point for us. Relatively few large-scale units could fit into our fireplace, so our options were a bit limited. The Travis units seemed a bit more substantial than the Regency models (which are cat units and much worth a look). We also liked the Osburn and its sister company’s inserts, but they could not quite fit our opening. Pacific, Blaze King, and I believe one or two others also would not fit or conform to code for us given our constrained fireplace maw.

Burn time perhaps aside, we are thrilled with the stove, so far. Likely characteristic across brands, our blower element is a bit loud, but effective.
This is very helpful
If you measured burn time as the time the fan is running (I assume it’s temp controlled and using that as a bit of a proxy for useful heat production) how long would you estimate the longest burn could be?
Thanks again

This is very helpful
If you measured burn time as the time the fan is running (I assume it’s temp controlled and using that as a bit of a proxy for useful heat production) how long would you estimate the longest burn could be?
Thanks again
Certainly several hours but we really have not attempted slow, lengthy burns yet.

I live in western MA near the CT border. I was surprised when a few weeks ago I went to the local service/gas station/convenience store and in the tiny waiting room of the auto repair shop they had a BK stove and a rack of brochures. Turns out they are a BK dealer. Not really the kind of dealer you'd want to go to to look at all the models in the showroom, but I would think they could order any model if you know what you want.

The name of the place is Papa's Healthy Food and Fuel in East Otis, MA. It's a short drive north on Rt 8 if you're close to Torrington/Winsted area in CT.
They have been selling our products and installing for decades. The owner is awesome and I have visited there a few times. They do order/sell all models but display either a King or Princess. And I'll add, I love the drive out there. BeGreen knows from living out east, but the millions of oak trees makes me drool.

Reactions: moresnow
Order placed
Went with the BK Ashford insert through Preston Trading Post - I'll be sure to go with an insulated liner
Thanks to all for their input - I'll get a picture up once it's in but it's looking like it'll be a month or so

Reactions: Sweetlou
Nice choice. Keep your self updated on the tax credits for 2021. 26% of that install is a good chunk of change.