Choosing right size wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Math03xx

Nov 28, 2015
Gettysburg, PA
I have a 1500 sq. ft. Farm house (chopped up, not open concept) and was considering buy either the pleasant hearth 1800 sq ft or Englander 13 nc models. Based on the research I've done, those have consistancly been the two recommended. On the contrary, I've been reading that the larger models (Englander 30nc or pleasant hearth 2200) may do the job better. The longer burn times with larger stoves are more appealing as well. My price range is under $1000. Am I heading in the right direction going with a larger stove, or would a medium sized stove like the 13 nc suffice? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Definitely go bigger. Might as well go to bed warm and wake up warm as well.

My piece of advice would be to not put to much stalk into what the manufactures say regarding how much space a stove will heat as there are way to many variables. The general consensus though is to go bigger.

The level of insulation and air-sealing in the house will also affect the size of stove needed.

I'd be looking at 2cu.ft.+ stoves, at least, personally. The Madison or a True North(TN19) can be had for less than a grand.

Reactions: JA600L
I have 1200 sf open concept but 2x6 construction so fairly well insulated and I heat it with 2.2 cf insert. It does the job done but I wouldn't mind bigger box for really cold days like last winter and longer burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.