Choosing Stove Glass Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwammy

Jan 9, 2010
Central NC
I have a Sierra 1000 wood stove I'm rebuilding and I plan on replacing the glass. I've searched all over and have learned a lot about this. Although information is lacking in a few places. It seems they all just say that the ceramic glasses are the same whether it be neoceram, pyroceram, what have you. Is there anything else out there besides this stuff? The only reason I ask is because a review I read mentioned that ceramic glass (some of them/all of them?) are IR blocking, meaning that infrared heating will not occur with ceramic glass. I honestly don't care to see the fire so much as feel the heat of the infrared light coming through it. Is there another type of glass or a type of ceramic glass that can be safely used in a wood stove that doesn't block infrared heating? Is the reviewer just plain wrong hence my worries are unfounded?

Also I want to put in some sort of shield to guard the glass from the logs and my clumsy poker usage. Any ideas on what warps and what works? I was thinking of welding rebar or angle iron across the top and bottom of the window opening and then spanning that with pieces running vertically. Should I weld the top and bottom all the way or just in a few places? I guess I'm wondering if I should weld the hell out of it or just use a few well placed beads? I don't want to warp the front plate to where I can't use glass trying to protect the glass, lol. Any suggestions or ideas on that would be appreciated.

There is a difference in thickness, try to match the original. Some ceramic glass has a reflective IR coating, but not all. It is a good thing as it keeps the fire hotter and burning cleaner. The folks at www.onedayglass.com should be able to help you if your local glass shop can't.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to get the 3/16 piece and mount it like BrotherBart mentioned in another post with the top part of the gasket left out. In this way it acts as a secondary air/air wash on the narrow, side door'd, front window stove. That should leave me about an 1/8th of an inch gap on body of the stove and the window frame. How big of a hole is an 18" x 1/8th inch slot anyways?

18 inches long, about the width of a pencil lead.

Lol, thanks for the visual reference coaly. I will be testing it outside in a week or so. It seems like this is too much air but maybe not, I guess I'll find out if I need to add to the gasket. I'd like it to almost run off the air wash and some secondary air tubes one day. I wish some sort of calculator existed that I could input stove dimensions or even the model and stuff and get a breakdown on how much air the stove pulls in through the intakes at different temps and what size they are (as equal to a circular hole). That way I could make more than an eyeball's guess as to what I'm doing. At least messing with the air wash on this stove is really easy when taking the window frame loose to adjust/mess with it. It's gonna take at least a few beers before it's all said and done. Going out to cut off the old warped baffle now.

Well, 18 x .125 = 2.25 square inches. You ask how big a 'hole', so divide by pi and take square root... 2.25 / 3.14 = .716, and √ .716 = .846

So a round hole of 2.25 square inches has a radius of .846 inches, or a diameter pretty close to 1.7 inches.

That might be a little on the large side. When my stove is really cranking, all the primary and secondary air is coming through a hole about 3/4 x 1.25 inch, or a little under 1 square inch.

Thanks for the info Corey. Now I canna doings the maff myselfs. Looks like I'm gonna have to fill a quite a bit of the "hole" up. A quarter inch piece of glass sure would save me some headaches. Too bad I can't find such a thing online.

Status
Not open for further replies.