choosing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad wilton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2014
quebec
hi guy's,my friend upstairs is planning on replacing his wood stove with a pellet stove needs on with good heat output about 2000sqft uninsulated stone walls and not to finicky with pellets not sure on supply consistency thanks

Tell them to check out the Harman stoves. Great for reliability and tend to burn any pellets you throw into them.

Uninsulated walls will be a challenge for most stoves and may have to look at insulation as that usually helps with how many btus one needs as well as increasing overall comfort.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackman
I agree with Bioburner. The money would be better spent on insulation. I put up walls and insulated my basement last year and cut my pellet consumption by a third.

Agree with the insulation recommendation. How is the 2000 sq ft set up? One floor, two? Open floor plan or lots of walls? Central stairs?

Is it possible to keep wood stove and add pellet stove?

Uninsulated 2,000 Sq. Ft. Will be impossible with one stove. Stone walls will suck the heat right out. Huge heat sink. Really need to see layout.

I'd stick with a chunk wood stove myself. No pellet unit will come close to heating a 2K square foot stone cave....

Status
Not open for further replies.