Choosing woodstove size (Jotul, Lopi, or other non-catalytic wood stoves)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrH

Nov 26, 2010
Western OR
Any advice highly appreciated with choosing the correct non-catalytic wood stove size. House: 1,900 sq. ft., two floors (second floor only 400 sq. ft.), low (7.5 ft) ceilings. First floor:living area, dining area/kitchen, entrance hall and stairway (all-together 900 sq ft) are well connected, but not typical open floor plan. Two bdrm. downstairs quite separated. Third bdrm upstairs above the living area. House is somewhat insulated (floor R19, attic R29, walls R?, double windows). Planning to use the wood stove as the primary heat source and supplement it with electric wall units in the distal first floor 2 bdrm (as needed). Planning to locate the wood stove centrally to the living/dining/kitchen/entrance hall area, in the living room. Mild pacific northwest (Oregon, Willamette valley, Eugene) climate: January Avg. Min 35 F, January Avg. Max 46 F, heating season from mid October to mid May. Dealer recommends the Lopi Republic 1250, definitely not a bigger stove. I like the Jotul F400 Castine because of slightly larger firebox (and thus hope of a longer burn time) and because of the look. It would be great to have an overnight burn time for some of those cold days (even short overnight is OK). My main worry is that the Castine, especially when fully loaded for the overnight burn, will produce too much heat making the house uncomfortably hot. And secondly, if only small fire maintained the stove will not be at the optimum temperature for burning, thus less efficient. I will appreciate any comment or experience in wood burning in this climate. Many thanks.

Agree with your choice of location for the wood stove. Didn't catch in your description if you have a forced hot air system (furnace) in your home. If you do, the blower can serve you as an air circulator, when burning the wood. Space heaters are a plus in less flow-friendly environments.

Right in your neck of the woods (Oregon) is Travis Industries. They make the Lopi, the Avalon, and other wood stoves. Might be worth taking a look at their prices and product. Our Avalon has served us well. They give tours of their manufacturing facility. If "I" lived out there, "I" would certainly go and see what they do, and how they do it!

Here's a link:

http://travisindustries.com/

-Soupy1957

You mentioned 1900 square feet to heat, but only described 1300 square feet (900 first floor, 400 second floor) - what's the reason for the difference?

If your rooms are well-connected, but the overall plan is not "open" then it might be tough to get good heat distribution, especially to upstairs. How far is the stairway to where you will put the stove?

Will you be burning softwoods or hardwoods?

Welcome to the forum PH.

Why would you limit your purchase to a non-cat stove? We did this at first when we last purchased a new stove because of some bad facts we had been given. Long story short, we went with a cat stove and have been laughing ever since. For sure there is nothing wrong with a non-cat stove but to completely rule out a cat stove might cause you to miss some great stoves that could serve you well. Good luck.

I think the 1.6 cu ft firebox of the Lopi Republic is a good minimum, not maximum, for your needs. I would consider stoves up to 2 cu ft and even beyond, for longer burn times and more heat in cold snaps. The F400 Castine is not too big for you.

Smaller fires in a bigger stove may be somewhat less efficient, but at least you have the option. There is no option for bigger fires in smaller stoves.

I have an Avalon 1190 insert – 3.1 foot. I got it used this year. The house has about 1200 sq ft with an open plan one story floor. The siding is about ½ single glass. I live in Houston. The propane gas furnace has two speeds – one is rated at 64,000 buts’ and the second one is rated at 80,000 buts’. Last year the second one kicked in a lot of the times.

Last year I got a Kozy Grate Heater. Before we just used the fireplace and propane.

Here, most people say it better to get a bigger insert (the biggest unit that will fit) and you can use smaller fires. I agree. I can put a fire and I have 78 – 80 dreeges temps inside when outside is the 30’s with two spits and I reload it needs more wood I add about 2-3 hours later.

My wood is red oak, spitted and covered 5 – 6 years ago. When that wood is gone, I have starting cutting, splitting and stacking new wood for three years out.

Travis won’t sell me parts, but my dealer will. I would note that if you need parts, where do you get them? From the forums, look at the reviews from each insert you are looking at and the warranty.

I haven’t used propane unless the outside is less than 60, then I start the fire.

I guess I was lucky because I am very happy with the unit.

Robert

If you want an overnight burn, go for something with at least a 2 cubic foot firebox. Dont worry so much about making one area too hot. Theres always ways to move the air around. I would suggest something that created more convection heat than radiant heat. Easy to move hot air than heat waves.

I'd be looking at Lopi 1750 or a PE Super 27 for your installation. Both do well burning our NW softwoods. Don't worry about getting the larger stove, you will need it for longer burn times if you are going to try for 24/7 heating with softwoods. I suspect you are going to need a fan or two to assist heat circulation though, otherwise the stove room might get too warm for normal comfort. Getting the PE stove with the castiron jacket (Alderlea T5) can soften this heating a bit. If you can post a sketch of the 1st floor plan, including stair location, we can assist with fan placement.

FWIW, I had too dealers warn me not to install the big PE stove in our 2000 sq ft house. They couldn't have been more wrong. Tom Oyen was the only person I spoke with that gave me a common sense assessment of what it would be like burning with the larger stove. And he was exactly correct.

Backwoods Savage said:
Welcome to the forum PH.

Why would you limit your purchase to a non-cat stove? We did this at first when we last purchased a new stove because of some bad facts we had been given. Long story short, we went with a cat stove and have been laughing ever since. For sure there is nothing wrong with a non-cat stove but to completely rule out a cat stove might cause you to miss some great stoves that could serve you well. Good luck.

x2

Why the cat aversion? Their ability to run low and slow could be a great fit for you in the shoulder season.

Status
Not open for further replies.