Chow for the new IS!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
Grabbed my meter to check out my 2.5 summers dried red oak, 3 summers when I get to burning it:
20160728_204516.jpg

Thats with the pins buried! Went to pull it out after the pic and broke a pin off. Oops!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Soundchasm
Pins are replaceable
There should be extra
pins that came with it when
you bought it.
At least mine has extras .
Nice Oak

Last year I loaded my IS up with red oak for a cold spell. I had to move my couch further away from the stove by about 2 feet. No kidding.

Last year I loaded my IS up with red oak for a cold spell. I had to move my couch further away from the stove by about 2 feet. No kidding.
That's actually good news for me! I'm going to try and heat almost 3000 sq ft of new construction from the basement. It sounds like this is the stove to do it! At least in the price range I can afford.

Reactions: JA600L
That's actually good news for me! I'm going to try and heat almost 3000 sq ft of new construction from the basement. It sounds like this is the stove to do it! At least in the price range I can afford.

Sounds like a tough task especially from the basement. While the IS can throw heat it does excel at low and slow which is the opposite of what you need. Be interested to see how it performs so definitely post some winter updates

If your wood is as dry as your meter says,
Your in for a fun winter with this stove. I usually burn my stove in more of a cat burn, but that throws a lot of heat. Throw some more air to it and you won't have any problem keeping the house warm. That is assuming the house is decently insulated and sealed.

Sounds like a tough task especially from the basement. While the IS can throw heat it does excel at low and slow which is the opposite of what you need. Be interested to see how it performs so definitely post some winter updates

It will mainly be used to keep the lower level nice and toasty but I'm sure it will send plenty of heat upstairs as well. If it can handle 75% or so of the heat load, I'll be pleased. The wood processing keeps me in shape and sitting watching the flames flicker in the stove calms me at the end of the day. The added heat is a bonus!

If your wood is as dry as your meter says,
Your in for a fun winter with this stove. I usually burn my stove in more of a cat burn, but that throws a lot of heat. Throw some more air to it and you won't have any problem keeping the house warm. That is assuming the house is decently insulated and sealed.
It will be built and sealed well. I have been speaking with the builder and told him my plans to do as much of the heating with a stove and I'm willing to pay extra to make sure its done correctly! You reassured me in my posts when I was contemplating the purchase! If the NG furnace has to run a bit it won't be the end of the world.

Reactions: JA600L
It will mainly be used to keep the lower level nice and toasty but I'm sure it will send plenty of heat upstairs as well. If it can handle 75% or so of the heat load, I'll be pleased. The wood processing keeps me in shape and sitting watching the flames flicker in the stove calms me at the end of the day. The added heat is a bonus!

It will be built and sealed well. I have been speaking with the builder and told him my plans to do as much of the heating with a stove and I'm willing to pay extra to make sure its done correctly! You reassured me in my posts when I was contemplating the purchase! If the NG furnace has to run a bit it won't be the end of the world.

Ok, so new construction. That's awesome. I'm just curious what kind of chimney system are you putting in?

Ok, so new construction. That's awesome. I'm just curious what kind of chimney system are you putting in?
It will be through the wall to class A stainless, up the side of the house and through the eaves, but chased in and insulated. Not sure on the exact overall height though. I'm guessing close to 28 ft or so.

It will be through the wall to class A stainless, up the side of the house and through the eaves, but chased in and insulated. Not sure on the exact overall height though. I'm guessing close to 28 ft or so.

That should be one strong drafting chimney . You may want to put a key damper in the exhaust. Are you planning to install an outside air kit?

That should be one strong drafting chimney . You may want to put a key damper in the exhaust. Are you planning to install an outside air kit?
Spoke with the chimney guy over the phone. He made mention of possibly needing one. He wants to get it installed and test it first. No outside air kit at this point. I can leave a window cracked if I need to. I'm thinking the restrictions of being closed up may help slow the draft.

Spoke with the chimney guy over the phone. He made mention of possibly needing one. He wants to get it installed and test it first. No outside air kit at this point. I can leave a window cracked if I need to. I'm thinking the restrictions of being closed up may help slow the draft.

Is the stove being installed below grade in a basement?

It will be in an egress basement. The stove itself will be below actual ground grade (I think) but the rear 3/4 of the basement will be only halfway below grade. It will be placed near a "walk up" patio door (4 steps up to the door which is at grade)

It will be in an egress basement. The stove itself will be below actual ground grade (I think) but the rear 3/4 of the basement will be only halfway below grade. It will be placed near a "walk up" patio door (4 steps up to the door which is at grade)

Basements are normally subject to negative pressure. Mine is and it makes things a pain. You can see what the experts say but I would definitely add the outside air kit into the plans if its possible.

I had negative pressure to contend with in a buddies house I was renting from. (Thats where I got hooked on wood for heat.) I would just open a window when I was lighting a new fire from a cold stove, warm the upper secondary/flue area with 1lb propane torch for about 30-45 secs and then touch off the top down fire, once it was running full time it wasn't an issue.

It will be interesting to see what differences I come acrossed compared to his Quadra-fire 3100 with exposed stainless chimney with about the same run vs an insulated chase around the chimney as well.

I had negative pressure to contend with in a buddies house I was renting from. (Thats where I got hooked on wood for heat.) I would just open a window when I was lighting a new fire from a cold stove, warm the upper secondary/flue area with 1lb propane torch for about 30-45 secs and then touch off the top down fire, once it was running full time it wasn't an issue.

It will be interesting to see what differences I come acrossed compared to his Quadra-fire 3100 with exposed stainless chimney with about the same run vs an insulated chase around the chimney as well.

I always wonder if negative pressure has an effect on our body. It's hard to tell. I always feel extra sleepy in my basement. I imagine our lungs and brain function better in a neutral or positive pressure environment. I may be over thinking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.