Christmas 2014: Let's See Your Yule Log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Merry Christmas everyone! Post a picture of your 2014 Yule Log. Here's mine. image.jpg

image.jpg
Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dafattkidd
No fire today 62 outside and 73 inside the house. Merry Christmas

zero dF here, the trick is the kids want the house "not too hot" while opening presents.

I ran a regular full load last night, this morning I am putting on one small split every hour or two. I am running the thermostat wide open, smallest possible load of fuel to keep the cat active - were in unhealthy to unsafe air quality just now- and keeping the house at 78-82dF.
coals.JPG

What a pain in the neck. If it was somewhat colder I could have just loaded the stove this morning, got the load charred, engaged the cat, turned the thermo down to low and called it a day.

I dunno what your ambient temp is, or what your MM shows or how much pipe you got on your stove. Running the stove like this for a few hours to burn down the coals isn't too bad. Running the stove like this all day is not an ideal plan.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I just didn't pull out the camera. Our yule log was 20" and 20 lbs. It had to go in the stove diagonally. Not the most pretty loading nor the most efficient but it burned for several hours.

I will never hear the words "yule log" without recalling this:

(reference at 1:32, if you're slow...)

Status
Not open for further replies.