1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Christmas came early..Summit install in progress

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Willhound, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    I am a very happy man. After a couple of weather related delays, my Summit insert is being installed today, and should be burning by tonight. Here are some play by play shots. Who knows, maybe serve to highlight some of the steps involved if someone is considering this.

First shot is of the fireplace at the start with just regular glass doors and screens. Dimensions of this fireplace are 10' wide by 8' high.

Willhound

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Second shot is of installer, Al, grinding out the damper plate and other parts that need to be removed.

Attached Files:

3. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Third shot is of firebox after all doors and framing removed. Clay that you see is remnants of top of liner that were removed to accommodate the flashing. My clay liner extended above the brick chimney.

Attached Files:

4. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Shot 4 is looking up the flue. You can see the piece of damper still in place that has been cut and will be removed.

Installer has gone to pick up the connector that he forgot. I will post more as I am able.

Willhound

Attached Files:

5. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Here's the insert ready to go in the hole. You can see the end of the flex connector hanging down. Didn't get a shot of the liner going into the chimney because I was on the roof helping. Second shot is now in place and pipe connected. 5 feet of flex going to 22' of rigid stainless.

Attached Files:

6. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Insert levelled and surround installed. Second shot is the final lockdown of the storm collar on the roof. As you can see, dark by now. Is this guy dedicated, or what?

Attached Files:

7. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Voila! The end result.
    House stinks like curing paint, gotta go and open some windows.

:) :lol: :p

Happy, happy, happy.

Kind of a long drawn out series of posts, but I figured it's not often you get to take step by step shots, so if anyone wants them in a group, now they have them.

Willhound

Attached Files:

8. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Very nice. Good idea posting the progression of the install. It gives atleast me an idea of what's involved with having something like this installed. Are the 2 vents to the sides of the fireplace the cooling vents?
  9. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Those ugly looking grills to either side are part of the original fireplace. There are two more down low, you can see them in the shot. They were meant to pull some additional heat out of the masonry, if you ever managed to get it hot enough. Now that they are no longer needed I plan to cover them over. I found some ceramic tiles that fit nicely and I will probabley cement them in place tomorrow as the final step.

Oh, also got to 'fess up. The hearth extender is pre-fab and store bought. Company by the name of "By the Fire" hearth products. Sorry, I don't have any other info on them, but I purchased it from the same dealer I got the insert from:

http://www.firesidereflections.com/index2.html

Willhound
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Are you loving life or what?

Thanks for the series.
  11. ERPARKER

ERPARKER New Member

Loc:
    Arlington, VA
    Nice posts. I'm jealous. Our insert should be installed in the next week or so.
  12. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    yeah, congrats man I love the pics :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.