Christmas came early..Summit install in progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willhound

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2005
Northern Ontario, Canada
I am a very happy man. After a couple of weather related delays, my Summit insert is being installed today, and should be burning by tonight. Here are some play by play shots. Who knows, maybe serve to highlight some of the steps involved if someone is considering this.

First shot is of the fireplace at the start with just regular glass doors and screens. Dimensions of this fireplace are 10' wide by 8' high.

Willhound

Attachments

• Summit 1.jpg
    Summit 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,122
Shot 4 is looking up the flue. You can see the piece of damper still in place that has been cut and will be removed.

Installer has gone to pick up the connector that he forgot. I will post more as I am able.

Willhound

Attachments

• Summit 4.jpg
    Summit 4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,078
Here's the insert ready to go in the hole. You can see the end of the flex connector hanging down. Didn't get a shot of the liner going into the chimney because I was on the roof helping. Second shot is now in place and pipe connected. 5 feet of flex going to 22' of rigid stainless.

Attachments

• Summit 6.jpg
    Summit 6.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Summit 5.jpg
    Summit 5.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,070
Voila! The end result.
House stinks like curing paint, gotta go and open some windows.

:) :lol: :p

Happy, happy, happy.

Kind of a long drawn out series of posts, but I figured it's not often you get to take step by step shots, so if anyone wants them in a group, now they have them.

Willhound

Attachments

• Summit 9.jpg
    Summit 9.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,074
Those ugly looking grills to either side are part of the original fireplace. There are two more down low, you can see them in the shot. They were meant to pull some additional heat out of the masonry, if you ever managed to get it hot enough. Now that they are no longer needed I plan to cover them over. I found some ceramic tiles that fit nicely and I will probabley cement them in place tomorrow as the final step.

Oh, also got to 'fess up. The hearth extender is pre-fab and store bought. Company by the name of "By the Fire" hearth products. Sorry, I don't have any other info on them, but I purchased it from the same dealer I got the insert from:

http://www.firesidereflections.com/index2.html

Willhound

Willhound said:
Voila! The end result.
House stinks like curing paint, gotta go and open some windows.

:) :lol: :p

Happy, happy, happy.

Kind of a long drawn out series of posts, but I figured it's not often you get to take step by step shots, so if anyone wants them in a group, now they have them.

Willhound

Are you loving life or what?

Thanks for the series.

Nice posts. I'm jealous. Our insert should be installed in the next week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.