Christmas came early

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Our local area is experiencing some early winter flooding due to high water levels along the river. I have a neighbour who used to heat with wood until his furnace final gave out after many years of hard service. Since he decided to not get a new furnace for now the firewood that he had cut this year..... Standing dead and fallen trees cut in 3-4 foot lengths, was going to be at risk from the rising water.

He called me late in the week to see if I wanted the wood. The earliest I could get to it was today (Saturday). In the meantime he took the time to load it on his trailer and to park it in his yard.

I went there today and was wonderfully surprised to discover this.

We loaded the half ton and then made it work hard to tow a very large load of firewood home the whopping 3/4 of a mile to our yard.

Sometimes Christmas comes early.

Attachments

• gotten wood.jpg
    gotten wood.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 449
  • gotten wood 2.jpg
    gotten wood 2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 465
  • gotten wood 3.jpg
    gotten wood 3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 463
Congrats! What kind of wood is that?

Nice neighbor. Some people would rather chance that wood floating away then to give it to another. So you live close less then a mile from his place. Has the water subsided? Everyone and property ok? Hope so.

The water has levelled off but given the weather there is still a serious risk of ice jams in the area. Shallow river, fast water, lots of bridges, a few old ford crossings where the rocks rough up the water are all places where the ice could easily lodge right now. There are few homes in the area where the lane or access roads are in jeopardy right now. In the area closest to us everyone and their homes are safe right now. It is next spring that concerns everyone as we have had above normal snowfalls, the ground is already saturated from fall rains and of course the river is high.

Concerning the type of wood I do not have a 100 percent accurate ID right now but let's just say its gotten wood right now and I will be debarking it shortly.

lowroad, that is great. Treat that neighbor to a good Christmas present. You already have yours. lol

You are too wet and we are extremely dry. This storm is following the same pattern as the rain has all year. By the time it gets to us it peters out. Many times they will get it south of us and north of us while we get just a little bit. I have never seen it this dry this late in the year. We no doubt will be paying for this.

Thats so nice of him.
Good neighbours are a blessing for sure.

That is a great neighbor. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.