Christmas morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvmesomesamples

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2013
Cambridge NY
Getting my pellergy pellet boiler installed tomorrow and can't wait. Have my first 3.5 ton bulk vermont softy fill up coming later in the week. Pics of the bulk bin (not as easy as it looks to construct) and exterior fill
dfdf77edd1b76eb15c9553375a13947e.jpg
946acc21f4bc6afdd7d2b0ee182bb259.jpg
set up below. Boiler pic coming soon.

Reactions: Markus38
There any discount buying bulk by the ton ?

With vermont wood pellets it will end up bring around 25/ton cheaper than bagged delivered. But for me it is mostly the convenience of never having to handle another bag again. Delivered and automatically auger fed, saving 50% a year on fuel costs, and enjoying the warmth of my 100 year old cast iron radiators. Life is good! Pics tomorrow!

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
awesome setup.

Reactions: Luvmesomesamples
OK. But when are you going to get around to getting serious about heating with pellets? ;lol

With vermont wood pellets it will end up bring around 25/ton cheaper than bagged delivered. But for me it is mostly the convenience of never having to handle another bag again. Delivered and automatically auger fed, saving 50% a year on fuel costs, and enjoying the warmth of my 100 year old cast iron radiators. Life is good! Pics tomorrow!
My prior house was a 1910 Victorian - no insulation and original windows!!! (didn't live there long....) but OMG yes the heat from 100 year old cast iron radiators - when those were cranking in winter, the heat from them could be considered therapeutic mmmmmm :)

Imagine if I lived in Wisconsin!!

So wanted to share some numbers:

November average 10 hours per day and 9 starts which worked out to about 2 ton including my Dhw. About 3700 sqft of living space.

December is going to be a bit higher so far with my system running for about 26 or the past 36 hours. Average temp of supply is about 140 with the Pb. I'm tempted to supplement the oil boiler in conjunction to heat my cast radiators quicker. I think I will tinker with the controls this week. Any way the house has been nice and toasty and have enjoyed not having all the work of lugging bags and cleaning twice a week. I have only cleaned the system 3 times so far since October! Love it!

With firing up the system for the first time this season I got excited and wanted to go back and look at last year's performance. Here are the final number:

1835 starts
1863 hours
13.5 ton burned
150 gallons of fuel oil used in supplement

Total heating expense for a really cold season: $4200.

Savings of $1500 from prior season when I was using just a Harmon pellet fireplace insert to supplement and $2800 from the year prior when I used just oil. However my wife didn't complain of being cold at all last year and she certain did quite often the past 2[emoji3]

Winter is coming!

Reactions: bogieb
With firing up the system for the first time this season I got excited and wanted to go back and look at last year's performance. Here are the final number:

1835 starts
1863 hours
13.5 ton burned
150 gallons of fuel oil used in supplement

Total heating expense for a really cold season: $4200.

Savings of $1500 from prior season when I was using just a Harmon pellet fireplace insert to supplement and $2800 from the year prior when I used just oil. However my wife didn't complain of being cold at all last year and she certain did quite often the past 2[emoji3]

Winter is coming!

I am always amazed at what it cost you guys to heat up there and that you are happy about it! But I guess the flip side is I am stuck in the city with all the traffic and the ***holes and I would gladly pay that to be rid of them :p

4200 a year would pay my entire power and water bill with enough money left over to take a quick vacation. Do you think you could reduce those numbers significatly with some insulation or air sealing?

I wish, already been done. The main reason it costs so much is no access to natural gas. Propane, fuel oil, and electric heat are all much more expensive than natural gas regardless of insulation or air sealing. Even new construction in this area will run $2500 ish if using fuel oil or propane to heat on a normal year. Cord wood is by far the cheapest and most widely used to heat in my area but much too labor intensive and dirty for me.

Reactions: bogieb
nice set up, I was looking for something like that for FHA set up, plumbed in to the existing duct work. Keep us posted on how its working out..

Status
Not open for further replies.