Chuck it or Burn it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
I believe the answer is to chuck it, but a confirmation would be welcomed.

Santa brought my wife a very nice, new cherry dresser to replace the one we were "gifted" when we first got married. The latter is all pine with the drawer faces and molding stained. The structural pieces are unfinished that I will use as kindling. Is it correct that any of the stained wood should not be burned in my woodstove?

Many thanks

It shouldn't be burned. If the dresser is still usable, give it away to a family or person in need on Facebook marketplace, craigslist, freecycle list, etc.

It shouldn't be burned. If the dresser is still usable, give it away to a family or person in need on Facebook marketplace, craigslist, freecycle list, etc.
Thanks begreen. It has seen its day and served two households well over more than 25 years. Many of the drawers are barely held together and the slides are well worn. I am looking to see if I can use the drawer faces to make a couple of boxes to store odds and ends in the garage. Many years ago I used the stained siderails to a former waterbed frame to make three, three step stringers and treads for stairs from the house into the garage.

It's great that the parts are being recycled. You are correct that finished wood should not be used for firewood.

We upgraded our bedroom furniture this year too. Ours was my parent's, cheap when they bought it before I was born. It was fit for the dumpster, lol. It served way past it's expected service life.