Chute! Let's see them woodchucks try this...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
I got real tired real fast lugging firewood down the basement steps in a roomy Home Depot shopping tote. I always put more splits in it than I should have. So they'd bang against my shins going down the stairs. We're just talking shoulder fires here, not 24-7. This just wasn't gonna work. I took a look around...

There's a basement window near the stove with one pane glass, one pane OSB. Aha. I cut a hole 12" square in the OSB. I fashioned a chute from an 8' piece of vinyl soffit left over from a summer project, and some scrap 2-by-3s.

I still had the large box my liner came in, so I positioned it in the drop zone under the window and tried three test firings. Bingo.

In no time, I wheeled two wheelbarrowsful of firewood over to my chute and chuted (chot?) it into the box. Now I'm bored. There's nothing to do...

Okay, I hear you asking, "What about the hole?" I just happened to have a vinyl doggie door cover that I wasn't using. It goes over the opening, held in place with a bungee cord and two screw eyes.

The best part is that I've decided the location of my next firewood acquisitions will be right next to this basement window. I won't even need the wheelbarrow. I can plant petunias in it.

Nancy

Pix may be coming in the next post. If I remember how...

Pix, outside and in...

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 4,912
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,119
That's using the ole noggin for more than a hat rack ;-)

LOL NOW THATS AWESOME !!!!

I don't understand, you cut a hole in your basement window and installed a [woodchuck] door so they can come in and load your stove? :D

Matt

I would put sides on the chute or put some protection on the other window in case a split goes off course.

Nancy, I recall when most folks had a chute for shooting their wood into the cellar (or basement).

Nice job, Nanc !!!!

I remember coal chutes, sadly :)

I remember the coal chutes and big bin on the cellar floor.
The trim that got beat up around that chute window still hasn't been fixed.

homebrewz said:
I would put sides on the chute or put some protection on the other window in case a split goes off course.
I agree. great idea, BTW. Wish I had an easy way to get wood inside. I've thought about a loading box outside that was accessible from inside.

Well shoot! That is a heck of a shute!

The animal protection folks will be after you! It's clearly not safe!! The lill' darlings will fall onto the pile of firewood!!! Oh the horror of it all!!!!!

On a more serious note: Nice work; it should reduce the amount of mess tracked inside also. Enjoy!

Mike

You stole my idea, or did I steal your idea? Good thinking, thats pretty much what i was planning, I have a big plastic bin, its basically a pallet with sides that I was going to put in the basement and chute mine into the bin.
I like your doggy door idea.

I don’t understand, you cut a hole in your basement window and installed a [woodchuck] door so they can come in and load your stove? :D

Matt

:lol:

The otters may like it too

homebrewz said:

Good eye! That actually happened until I lowered my end of the chute to slow down the rate of descent. Now sometimes I hafta give 'em a poke with a pole...

PopCrackleSnap said:
homebrewz said:

Good eye! That actually happened until I lowered my end of the chute to slow down the rate of descent. Now sometimes I hafta give 'em a poke with a pole...

A chute poker? :)

Shari

PopCrackleSnap said:
homebrewz said:

Thanks! You do this for a while and you notice these things. That's why a lot of wood scroungers will put a metal grate across the back window of their truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.