1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

CI rads on a homerun system

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by NHFarmer, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NHFarmer

NHFarmer Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southeastern NH
    I am planning to connect my CI rads to a manifold system with a separate home run for each rad.I am also putting in a kickspace heater and one room with standard baseboard heat.the manifolds will have valves to balance the system.can I use both the kickspace and ci rads on the same manifold?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrownianHeatingTech

BrownianHeatingTech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Yup.

If you use manifolds with flow-setters, you can adjust each loop individually. Basically, each loop has a flow meter, and by twisting the flow meter, you can adjust the throttle for that loop, limiting the maximum flow.

If you add thermostatic radiator valves, then you don't need to balance the loops, because the valves on the radiators will do it. You can also add TRV's to baseboard and kickspace heaters.

Joe
  3. NHFarmer

Loc:
    southeastern NH
    Thanks Joe,any ideas on brands or supplyers for the manifolds?Will I need flow meters and throttling valves?I am planning on all 5/8 pex home runs.
  4. BrownianHeatingTech

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    I've had good luck with Maxifold. You can put 3/8", 1/2", or 5/8" fittings on the loops. Or mix and match, if not all the loops are the same size PEX.

They include the flow meters on each loop. The red lock ring slides off (actually, you just need to snap it back about 1/4"), and then you can twist the flowmeter's body to adjust the flow rate, and watch it change on the meter, as you twist.

Joe
  5. mtfallsmikey

mtfallsmikey New Member

Loc:
    Mt. Falls Va.
    Hey Joe: where do you purchase these manifolds? To Mr. Farmer; I'm doing the same thing but with baseboard, piped primary/secondary, using a 007 Taco circ. to pump the secondary loop. Honeywell, danfoss make good TRV's, also will need to use a pressure differential bypass valve to bleed off excess pressure from the loop when the TRV's are closed. If you have not been there already, go to heatinghelp.com, and research...good luck, Mikey
  6. BrownianHeatingTech

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Heatlines.

Good point. I didn't mention it here because NHFarmer and I have already discussed that when I looked over his system a few months back, but for anyone else reading, you need a bypass valve like Mikey mentioned. As radiator valves closed, the pressure differential between the supply and return manifolds builds, and the valve lets some bleed through in order to protect the pump. Variable-speed pumps will eventually reduce or eliminate the need for such things.

Joe
  7. NHFarmer

Loc:
    southeastern NH
    Joe,
    Thanks for the info.I know we talked about TRV,s and pressure relief bypass valves but I was thinking,what happens if I eliminate the TRV,s and rely on the manifolds for balancing.There will always be flow to all rads,will I still need the bypass?
  8. BrownianHeatingTech

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    If you won't have radiator valves, then the bypass is not needed.

Joe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.