CI rads on a homerun system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHFarmer

Feeling the Heat
Feb 17, 2008
southeastern NH
I am planning to connect my CI rads to a manifold system with a separate home run for each rad.I am also putting in a kickspace heater and one room with standard baseboard heat.the manifolds will have valves to balance the system.can I use both the kickspace and ci rads on the same manifold?

NHFarmer said:
I am planning to connect my CI rads to a manifold system with a separate home run for each rad.I am also putting in a kickspace heater and one room with standard baseboard heat.the manifolds will have valves to balance the system.can I use both the kickspace and ci rads on the same manifold?

Yup.

If you use manifolds with flow-setters, you can adjust each loop individually. Basically, each loop has a flow meter, and by twisting the flow meter, you can adjust the throttle for that loop, limiting the maximum flow.

If you add thermostatic radiator valves, then you don't need to balance the loops, because the valves on the radiators will do it. You can also add TRV's to baseboard and kickspace heaters.

Joe

Thanks Joe,any ideas on brands or supplyers for the manifolds?Will I need flow meters and throttling valves?I am planning on all 5/8 pex home runs.

NHFarmer said:
Thanks Joe,any ideas on brands or supplyers for the manifolds?Will I need flow meters and throttling valves?I am planning on all 5/8 pex home runs.

I've had good luck with Maxifold. You can put 3/8", 1/2", or 5/8" fittings on the loops. Or mix and match, if not all the loops are the same size PEX.

They include the flow meters on each loop. The red lock ring slides off (actually, you just need to snap it back about 1/4"), and then you can twist the flowmeter's body to adjust the flow rate, and watch it change on the meter, as you twist.

Joe

Hey Joe: where do you purchase these manifolds? To Mr. Farmer; I'm doing the same thing but with baseboard, piped primary/secondary, using a 007 Taco circ. to pump the secondary loop. Honeywell, danfoss make good TRV's, also will need to use a pressure differential bypass valve to bleed off excess pressure from the loop when the TRV's are closed. If you have not been there already, go to heatinghelp.com, and research...good luck, Mikey

mtfallsmikey said:
Hey Joe: where do you purchase these manifolds?

Heatlines.

mtfallsmikey said:
To Mr. Farmer; I'm doing the same thing but with baseboard, piped primary/secondary, using a 007 Taco circ. to pump the secondary loop. Honeywell, danfoss make good TRV's, also will need to use a pressure differential bypass valve to bleed off excess pressure from the loop when the TRV's are closed. If you have not been there already, go to heatinghelp.com, and research...good luck, Mikey

Good point. I didn't mention it here because NHFarmer and I have already discussed that when I looked over his system a few months back, but for anyone else reading, you need a bypass valve like Mikey mentioned. As radiator valves closed, the pressure differential between the supply and return manifolds builds, and the valve lets some bleed through in order to protect the pump. Variable-speed pumps will eventually reduce or eliminate the need for such things.

Joe

Joe,
Thanks for the info.I know we talked about TRV,s and pressure relief bypass valves but I was thinking,what happens if I eliminate the TRV,s and rely on the manifolds for balancing.There will always be flow to all rads,will I still need the bypass?

NHFarmer said:
Thanks for the info.I know we talked about TRV,s and pressure relief bypass valves but I was thinking,what happens if I eliminate the TRV,s and rely on the manifolds for balancing.There will always be flow to all rads,will I still need the bypass?

If you won't have radiator valves, then the bypass is not needed.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.