Cider bottling day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Second batch this year. The first one was bottled in Sept. from a very early crop of gravensteins and william's pride. Preliminary tasting shows good promise! Anyone else bottling?

apl cdr1.jpg aplcdr2.jpg

Reactions: firefighterjake
Very nice. Have not had too many but have enjoyed the ones I have had. There's a PBS special on the history of cider in the US up to present day re-emergence. Was the drink of choice for a long time, maybe you saw it?

Once you press for the juice do you have to inoculate it? I didn't think so thought it just needs to sit but not sure.

Do you use fresh cider to prime, or sugar? I have 3 gallons bubbling now.. about to bottle in a few days

I use corn sugar for priming.

Very nice. Have not had too many but have enjoyed the ones I have had. There's a PBS special on the history of cider in the US up to present day re-emergence. Was the drink of choice for a long time, maybe you saw it?

Once you press for the juice do you have to inoculate it? I didn't think so thought it just needs to sit but not sure.
I could try wild yeast in the air, but prefer not to risk it turning to vinegar so I kill the yeast with a campden tablet, wait 24 hrs, then add yeast. This batch was fermented with champagne yeast. That is very aggressive and results in a dry cider. Once carbonated it comes out like apple prosecco. Our first batch in Sept. I used a less aggressive Cotes de Blanc yeast. That cider is shaping up very nicely.

Reactions: 7acres
This batch was fermented with champagne yeast. That is very aggressive and results in a dry cider. Once carbonated it comes out like apple prosecco.

Ah an aristocrat! Ciders must pair nice with meals. You got me going now. Going to have to pick some up now as a change of pace. Was sipping an apple brandy tonight.

LOL Our apples have a better pedigree than I. I'm a neophyte. This is my 3d year in cider making.

I'm making more and more hard cider and less beer. Beer is pretty good and cheap at the markets but cider is still a special beverage. It's very easy to make cider and with Costco selling excellent UV pasteurized cider, it is pretty hard to screw up. All you do it dump 5 gallons into the carboy with a dose of Nottingham ale yeast (my preference). Let it do it's thing for a month (or less if you're in a hurry). You now have a cider "base" that is dry, a little acidic, clearish, not too appley, and about 6% ABV. If you like higher ABV then add sugar (honey, brown sugar, can of apple juice concentrate) before the ferment.

Now the fun starts.

You transfer the cider base to the keg and add potassium sorbate to kill the yeast and prevent accidental additional fermentation. Then you add sweetness and flavor to this base to get the desired beverage before transferring to the keg for carbonation. My last batch was an orange blossom honey and peach nectar combination. Only one pound of the high quality honey left it semi dry which we like, brings out the apple flavor, and the peach provides a nice finish. Three days in the keg under 30 psi and then turn down the pressure to 2 psi to dispense. You're done.

The girls guzzled it down. An easy drinker for sure. As time goes on, even cold and carbed, the flavor improves. More apple come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.