Cinder Block Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok time to back a step up I own a chimney block chimney that my Intrepid attaches to. Truth is one with some skill can install them.
and one cah form a double chimney block chimney to carry two flues.

Aslo truth being almost all other inspectors would never come up with what I pointed out and they are probably passable in their jurisdiction.
Ac ctually quite easy to build one could build them then make the choice of either clay or stainsess steel liner the liner does not have to be clay

Wife yapping at me

to be continued

lets compare cost each chimney block 8/8 cost $7.75 16' requires 24 blocks and $ 186 Hidden cost mortar wall ties and possibly the need
for a decent footing re rod pined to the existing foundation.
If installing 8/8 clay liners, each 2' section cost about $9 add about $15 for ash clean out door.

Cost for clay lined chimney 16'
24 blocks blocks $186
8 Clay flue liners $72
5 80 LBs Mortar $36
wall ties and
Ash door $25
Lead flashing 40
Labor could be done one weekend

Total materials cost $360 you milage may vary depending on height, removing siding, building a cricket, and possibly a footing Plus masonry tools

and some hard labor possibly a deliver charge
And some companies do ASTME certify the blocks

I have a recently installed cinder block chimney w/ 2 flues, one for my Dutchwest non-cat and the other for my oil furnace (guess which one is cold and lonely!). There is a 6" clay liner in both which satisfies local building codes. My only complaint is not any firehazard, but that the stack takes over an hour to get up to temp when started from cold, even though it's an internal chimney. My masonry blocks are solid and the fire inspector had no issues with the setup.

pics attached for reference.....

Attachments

• chimney-stack.JPG
    chimney-stack.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 584
  • chimney-inside.JPG
    chimney-inside.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 577
  • block2.JPG
    block2.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 587
A lot of stoves take an hour to come up to temp. An hour to get that amount of mass warm is not unusual.

What is meant by - get up to temp? Is there a draft issue, does the stove smoke alot?

Can't see from the photo, but is there a difference in height between the two flues at the top?

Can’t see from the photo, but is there a difference in height between the two flues at the top?

Good point let me take it further: one cap servicing two flues is not a good idea. It acts as a channel to direct wood stove smoke down the other burner flue

They are the same height exactly, neither has a cap for the reasons I mentioned in the other thread about water in the chimney. both of mine cleanouts are bone dry even after a rainstorm, and no overhanging trees so no critters or debris to worry about. The clay liner does stick up a few inches about the masonry block, but like 2-3" at the outside (so little you cant even see it in the attached pics).

As for the draft, I do notice a difference in the reburner behavior when the stack is cold vs. warm. I get significant smoke/particulates coming out the top of the stack when it's cold vs. hot. I know it takes a while to warm that much mass up to temp, my posting was more of an advisory that one has to be more patient w/ thick masonry vs. a steel chimey before engaging a cat/reburner.

Status
Not open for further replies.