Ciney stove can't get it to work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciney

Oct 22, 2007
Western Ma
Hello,
Just bought a Ciney stove like the one here http://www.c20fires.co.uk/stoves/s130.htm and can't figure out how to place the interior parts (grate/other grill piece). Does anyone know how these things work. The description on the above site mentions 'integral hearth', anyone know what that means???
Thanks
In my cold kitchen!

ciney said:
Hello,
Just bought a Ciney stove like the one here http://www.c20fires.co.uk/stoves/s130.htm and can't figure out how to place the interior parts (grate/other grill piece). Does anyone know how these things work. The description on the above site mentions 'integral hearth', anyone know what that means???
Thanks
In my cold kitchen!

Can't tell you how to put it together but the "integral hearth" is that little bit of the base sticking out in front of the stove.

The claim from C20 is that this is a restored, antique stove. You will have to work with a local stove installer to be sure that it has been restored safely and is installed properly.

Thanks for your replies. I suppose I don't know what other way an integral hearth can be? i didn't buy the one on ebay just one that is exactly the same, but I agree I'm going to need an expert to install and check all seals.
thanks again

ciney said:
Hello,
Thanks
In my cold kitchen!

Hi,
I have a stove just like this one - I've been using it every winter for about 7 years. The grate bars are tricky to fit, but only fit one way; I expect you have worked out how to arrange them by now. Mine was missing the top one of the three bars and I have replaced it with a piece of steel tube. This means I can charge the stove from the top without the fuel falling the wrong side of the bars (mostly).

I have found the stove quite 'ticklish' in use. It will only work well with smokeless fuel - smoky coal will burn in it but the soot produced obstructs the flue at the back of the stove very quickly and then it will no longer draw. The draw is gentle even when it is working properly - and I think it was designed that way to make sure the air flow is slow and gives up as much of its heat as possible before reaching the chimney.

I have found that when starting the stove it often smokes from the top of the chamber above the grate - this has a small air intake near the top of the stove that has a rudimentary one way valve as well as the charging door in the top of the chamber. I suspect the chamber is a very important contributor to the efficiency of the design, along with the double skin and the very long path the flue takes.

Good luck with the Ciney stove and if you want any more info let me know.

Tom

Hi Tom,
Oh thanks for that. Actually, the chimney wasn't ready properly till this week so I actually lit it for the first time yesterday. Great timing! It worked well so I'm delighted, but from reading your message I suspect we are missing parts.

We have one very solid grate that seems to fit best at a slope at the back, but when I did that I got a very smokey room. I had lit the fire directly on the turning part that opens to the ashes collector (gosh I realise I don't have the vocab to describe this properly!) and that's when I posted the query.

Yesterday I put this grate into the bottom position (flat) where it also fits well and lit the fire there. It was a success. But I do wonder what I should be doing?

The stove came with a second (much less sturdy) grate that was in the top position (flat too), but I suspect it wasn't original, but don't know.

So, could you describe the 'three bars' a little as I can't picture where you put this 'steel tube'.

I also had a small amount of smoke from the top of chamber above the grate just when starting too, so that sounds like they work the same.

BtW it's lovely isn't it? Funny I couldn't find another thing on the internet apart from the pic I linked to.

Thanks again for your help.

ciney said:
Hi Tom,
Oh thanks for that. Actually, the chimney wasn't ready properly till this week so I actually lit it for the first time yesterday. Great timing! It worked well so I'm delighted, but from reading your message I suspect we are missing parts.

We have one very solid grate that seems to fit best at a slope at the back, but when I did that I got a very smokey room. I had lit the fire directly on the turning part that opens to the ashes collector (gosh I realise I don't have the vocab to describe this properly!) and that's when I posted the query.

Yesterday I put this grate into the bottom position (flat) where it also fits well and lit the fire there. It was a success. But I do wonder what I should be doing?

The stove came with a second (much less sturdy) grate that was in the top position (flat too), but I suspect it wasn't original, but don't know.

So, could you describe the 'three bars' a little as I can't picture where you put this 'steel tube'.

I also had a small amount of smoke from the top of chamber above the grate just when starting too, so that sounds like they work the same.

BtW it's lovely isn't it? Funny I couldn't find another thing on the internet apart from the pic I linked to.

Thanks again for your help.

Hello - I think the only way to establish what we each have is to put up pictures of the grate arrangements of the two stoves. I think we may have different combinations of grate components. At the bottom of the fire chamber, mine has the turning part near the front - with a shaft extending to the right through the side of the stove to turn it. Behind that is a sloping grate, which I assumed was fixed so I have never tried to remove it. This has another 'raking' device below this sloping grate with fingers that move back and forth between the slots in the grate. Again, this is mounted on a shaft that projects through the right side of the stove.

Immediately inside the door of the stove are two horizontal flat bars which slot into fixings either side of the opening. They stop the fire falling on the floor when you open the door. If yoiu post your email address I will send you pictures.

There are two ridges that project from the sides of the fire chamber and I guess these would support a horizontal grate, but I have never used the stove like that. The level of the grate would then be about half way up the door.

I've just lit my stove ready for a day working at home.

Tom

Hi Tom,
Yes mine sounds exactly like your one.

At the bottom of the fire
chamber, mine has the turning part near the front - with a shaft extending
to the right through the side of the stove to turn it.

SAME

Behind that is a
sloping grate, which I assumed was fixed so I have never tried to remove
it. This has another 'raking' device below this sloping grate with
fingers that move back and forth between the slots in the grate. Again,
this is mounted on a shaft that projects through the right side of the
stove.

SAME, except I'd moved this grate about, but agree it fits perfectly in that position and is only sitting in the other position I tried.

Immediately inside the door of the stove are two horizontal flat bars which
slot into fixings either side of the opening. They stop the fire falling on
the floor when you open the door.

Not sure about this part I don't have anything here.

There are two ridges that project from the sides of the fire chamber and I
guess these would support a horizontal grate, but I have never used the
stove like that. The level of the grate would then be about half way up the
door.

Yes I have these too and have a second grate supplied that does fit (well sits there) but I couldn't figure it out as then the fire would be up very high and also this isn't very stable so I've just left it out so far.

If yoiu post your email address I will
send you pictures.

I'd be very grateful if you could post a pic to razakazl at indigo dot ie

Then just to clarify, do you light your fire directly on the turning part near the front (- with a shaft extending
to the right through the side of the stove to turn it) and against the sloping grate? This is what I did on my first attempt and smoked the house out!

Am jealous of you lighting it for the day, I did too, and then spent the next hour opening windows to let the smoke out and the house is a good few degrees colder than it was before I lit the thing!

Thanks again, and look forward to seeing some pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.