Circle L Power Proposal.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Texas123

Apr 12, 2016
Stephenville, TX
I am in Texas and I have been quoted a price of 31,140 for a 9 Kwh solar array which will include the modifications to the attic of a radiant barrier, blow in insulation, weatherization and a solar attic fan. The ground mount will include the battery ready inverter, an additional optimizer, monitoring capability and most important Sun module Plus solar panels from SolarWorld.

The savings should be between 65 to 100 per month based on the average usage.

My questions are to the members, does this sound like a good investment in avoided cost, and are the SolarWorld panels knows to be reputable? I am unsure on this one, but the avoided cost of the power provided is much more then any CD is paying for the amount of the quote. Thanks in advance.

That's about $3.50/W installed as a ground-mount - you won't get any cheaper than that for a ground-mount, I think, with reputable modules.

I've heard good things about the SolarWorld panels, but not sure where they are manufactured nowadays. If not China, then that is certainly a plus in my book.

I'm not sure I would measure the benefit of the avoided cost against the income stream from a CD. I'd do it because you want energy security, electricity price stability, or feel that non-polluting power is the way to go. At the end of the day, you get your CD principal back after you've being paid your income, and that will be harder to do with the solar panels.

Having said all of that, if you want to do it and you can afford it, don't make it about simple dollars and cents. Not everything can be measured by simple economic ROI.