1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Circulating air through my home - Vent/Duct Fans?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by brianosaur, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianosaur

brianosaur New Member

Loc:
    New Yawk
    The room with my stove has two 6" x 12" vents at the top of one wall. The vents are in a standard 2"x4" wall and lead to another room where the floor is four feet higher (split level home). While heat does go through the vents, and I usually have a ceiling fan on in the room with the stove, I'd like to get more air circulating.

I have been looking on the net for vent fans and duct fans but all I find is circular inline heating fans. I saw something a while ago that sits on a floor grill with a standard outlet cord, but I don't think I want it on the outside, hanging off the wall.

Is there a fan I can place inside the wall, between the 2 grills that is quiet? I could always run a 110v line and place a switch in the wall.

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Try this site.

www.lehmans.com

They have 4" doorway fans that are real quiet, I have 2 and they work great!
    I also think they have floor and wall registers with fans allready monted inside.
  3. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

4. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Hey Steve, ever compare that Radio Shack fan to the ones in our VCWWL? Looks similar. That would be convenient, eh? Even if it's 'just close enough' I suspect.
  5. mikedengineer

mikedengineer New Member

Loc:
    mentor(northeast), ohio
    I use a 100 CFM (cubic feet per minute of air movement). I would say this is a good amount of air movement. With this fan blowing in at the top of a door and a floor box fan blowing out at the bottom of a door I'm able to get warm air to circulate down a hall and into my bedroom. This hall is a couple feet from the stove and the room is 15-20 feet at the end of it. This works suprisingly GREAT!

Radio shack has a 85 cfm which is $5 cheaper than the one recomended. Or you could even look on Ebay under "axial fan" which is what these fans are called.

-Mike
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    AKA Muffin fans. 4" 120vac. Try to get a one with ball bearings and with a reasonably low noise rating. Below 40 dba is nice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.