Circulating Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley Steve

Oct 28, 2008
Northern Ohio
I hope someone can help. I have a wood burning fireplace that has heating vents on each side of the hearth. This makes for an extemely warm family room, kitchen and living room but very cold bedrooms and basement. I have tried to run the furnace fan to circulate the air but the position of the cold air return (floor opposite the fireplace and behind a loveseat) doesn't pull the warm air. Is there something I can do to get the warm air to the rest of the house? I burn fires 4-5 days per week. Thanks.

Fans set at floor level pulling cold air out of the rooms and pointing the cold air to the hot stove (room). Warm air at ceiling height will naturally replace the cold air.

Like jag said use fans at floor level and make sure you face them TOWARD your stove or heating area. You want to pull the cold air out of that area as it is blocking your heat from entering. Ever notice the "wall" of cold air you run into when entering those cold rooms. Heat cannot get through that wall so you have to basically tera that wall down by pulling the cold air out...If you have ahallway that leads back into bedrooms put the fan at the end of the hallway nearest the stove...Hope that makes sense:)

Status
Not open for further replies.