Circulating the Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael F

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
Unfortunately, I don't have the best floor plan for circulating heat, but I am making do. My Osburn 2200 insert is located on one side of the house on the first floor, and the bedrooms are upstairs. For the heat to get upstairs, it must travel a few corners to reach the stairs. As expected, the stove room gets pretty hot. To remedy this, I am considering putting a bathroom fan in the stove room, running 4" insulated pipe, to a register in the upstairs hallway to pump some of the heat upstairs. I bought a 90 cfm fan at HD. Is this a good idea? Do you think I should pump the cold air into the stove room, thinking that it will pull the hot air upstairs? I have read alot about circulation, but most posts are all single floor solutions.

Thanks in advance, and happy heating!

I'm no expert but how about a desk fan on the floor at the top of the stairs, angled low down the stairs, and one on the floor outside the stove room, blowing in?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Welcome Michael. Can you post a quick sketch of the first floor plan with door and hallway sizes listed?

You should probably pull cold air in by your stove. If you push ducted air into your upstairs area the incased return air will be fighting against what is naturally rising. Ducting the cold downstairs will enhance the natural rise. It wil also help to circulate air into your downstairs areas.

Welcome to the forum Michael.

A floor plan would help but generally, as others have stated, you get better returns by pushing the cool air rather than trying to push the warm air into the cooler air. In many homes, there is a hallway with bedrooms or bath at the far end. In these cases, a small desktop fan sitting on the floor in the hallway blowing toward the stove room moves the air much, much better than trying to move the warm air. (The cool air coming in will force the warm air out of that room.)

Floor Plan...
house.jpg

You would be better off removing cold air from one of the bedrooms. That way you will pull warmer air back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.