1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Circulator pump question

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by gorsuchmill, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorsuchmill

gorsuchmill New Member

Loc:
    Central MD
    I have an oil boiler serving 6 zones (5 heat and 1 DHW). Each zone has a circulator on the supply side, but there is no circulator to push the return water through the boiler. Is this setup OK, or should there be a return side circulator to move the water through the boiler more quickly? If the latter, should there be some type of loop that circulates back to the return in the event the secondary loops are not drawing enough water to take the pressure off of the primary circulator?

Thanks for your help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Here's a recent thread that goes into some detail about where circulators should be located. The bottom line is that there are different opinions.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/16365/

But to answer your question, if set up properly, there's nothing wrong with having your circs on the supply side. No need for corresponding units on the return (or vice versa).

If you're having a problem, give us some more details and I'm sure somebody will try to help you out.
  3. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I've got 5 zones plus DHW and I use only a single circulator. Unless there's something unusual, you should be fine. As Eric asks - are you having any problems with the current setup?
  4. gorsuchmill

gorsuchmill New Member

Loc:
    Central MD
    I'm not having any problems other than fuel cost, and trying to maximize the efficiency of my system.

Thanks.
  5. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    Same problem as everybody else. Don't blame the circulator; the burner is your problem! :lol:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.