Circulator pump question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsuchmill

Mar 14, 2008
Central MD
I have an oil boiler serving 6 zones (5 heat and 1 DHW). Each zone has a circulator on the supply side, but there is no circulator to push the return water through the boiler. Is this setup OK, or should there be a return side circulator to move the water through the boiler more quickly? If the latter, should there be some type of loop that circulates back to the return in the event the secondary loops are not drawing enough water to take the pressure off of the primary circulator?

Thanks for your help.

Here's a recent thread that goes into some detail about where circulators should be located. The bottom line is that there are different opinions.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/16365/

But to answer your question, if set up properly, there's nothing wrong with having your circs on the supply side. No need for corresponding units on the return (or vice versa).

If you're having a problem, give us some more details and I'm sure somebody will try to help you out.

gorsuchmill said:
I'm not having any problems other than fuel cost, and trying to maximize the efficiency of my system.

Thanks.

Same problem as everybody else. Don't blame the circulator; the burner is your problem! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.