circulator pumps on UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmsd

Sep 27, 2014
Lion's Head,Ont,Canada
I have a grundfus and wilo circulator pump that I would like to run if I have a loss of power. I've tried 2 Ups, 1 made by APC BACK-UPS ES and 1 by Cyberpower CP1000AVRLCD ... They work for my pc and tv but the pumps hum like mad.

Gravity is not an option, tried it, not good..

Can some one recommend a safe Ups or a 12v pump that can handle 16 feet of head and hot water!

Look at pure sine wave UPS or inverter for use with a 12V battery, Stay away from modified sine wave UPS or inverter. I am wary of a UPS for long term use, as they normally are intended for a short period sufficient to shut down a computer.

Reactions: Fred61
I've got a 2200va ups that runs my 15-58 loading unit pump fine. It's a very big ups. You don't say exactly what pumps - some use quite a bit of juice, and 16 ft of head is a bit of a load.

Ok so a pure sine wave is a must! At least I know it can be done now thanks for that!

I'll have to dig out my killawatt to see what there measure , but on low there around 60watts each on paper.. Actual head is 8 feet. Pumps are Wilo Star S 21F and Grundfos UPS15-58FC..

So maple1 how long will your ups last with the pump running and is it a stock battery or did you swap out for a bigger one?

Thanks

Stock.

Bought it used last winter. But hardly used - more like NOS.

Not sure how long it will go, haven't had to find out. But it will go at least 4 hours.

This is a heavy duty ups, made with servers in mind. Most 'ordinary' ups's won't be up to it for any length of time and won't take kindly to hooking up bigger or more batteries to them.

Stock.

Bought it used last winter. But hardly used - more like NOS.

Not sure how long it will go, haven't had to find out. But it will go at least 4 hours.

This is a heavy duty ups, made with servers in mind. Most 'ordinary' ups's won't be up to it for any length of time and won't take kindly to hooking up bigger or more batteries to them.

I didn't see this thread and I just opened my own. Can you tell us which model you have, and how do you have this wired? I am totally lost with what I am going to do.

Bob

I'm curious too.. Im not worried about adding a bigger bat, have a 40ah on the way for my other electronics.

McKraut your inverter if you try it, can you report back if the pump hums or not.

Thanks

It's a APC SmartUPS SUA2200. A rack mount model.

Found it on kijiji. It's now a discontinued model. The guy said it was only plugged in to check the batteries. It has a plug on the back to add more batteries if wanted. It's like new.

Not much to installing it. Build a shelf to sit it on, and plug it in. (Has a 20a plug).

I changed up my loading unit pump, from hardwired, to using a receptacle & plug. That was the only thing I had to change. So now when I'm home & burning - which is almost whenever I'm burning - things are the same, I just leave the loading unit plugged into the wall. But if I have to leave the house for a while when burning, or if the weather really looks like it might bring a power outage when burning, I unplug the loading unit from the wall, plug it into the back of the UPS, plug the UPS into where the loading unit was plugged into, and push the power button on the UPS.

I was going to run it through the UPS all the time, but this one has a fan inside that runs all the time it is plugged in, whether it's turned on or not or you have stuff plugged into it or not. The fan is kind of loud & it's mounted up in my floor joists right under the TV room floor, so this is what I do. Plus it uses juice to do that.

I've picked up 2 used APC SmartUPS 1500's over the life of my boiler so far. I'm due for another round of batteries this year. I would not buy one of these things new, personally. Way too expensive. But used they can be a bargain with new batteries purchased separately. Mine will run my pump and fan for a lot longer than it takes to start a generator.

I've picked up 2 used APC SmartUPS 1500's over the life of my boiler so far. I'm due for another round of batteries this year. I would not buy one of these things new, personally. Way too
expensive. But used they can be a bargain with new batteries purchased separately. Mine will run my pump and fan for a lot longer than it takes to start a generator.

Where do you come across these things used? I agree that $700+ each is too expensive

Got mine for $200.

Retail when it was new was way more than that.

Also found a couple 3000's when I was looking. Monsters. Only wanted $60 for one of those but they needed new batteries and required a 30a outlet.

EBay, Craig's, kijiji...

Got mine for $200.

Retail when it was new was way more than that.

Also found a couple 3000's when I was looking. Monsters. Only wanted $60 for one of those but they needed new batteries and required a 30a outlet.

EBay, Craig's, kijiji...

Thanks. Time to start searching. I've never even heard of the 3rd one.

Bob

Where do you come across these things used? I agree that $700+ each is too expensive

Both of mine came from Ebay. I believe I was in the $100-150 ballpark for both, plus shipping. I picked up the replacement batteries from a local Batteries Plus store for maybe $50-70.

Craigslist and the like should also be a good place to shop.

After first trying a modified sine wave inverter on my system and hearing the circulators hum and watching the LEDs strobe on my controller, I quickly disconnected it and returned it to the vendor. I ended up purchasing a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger with internal transfer switch from these guys.
http://www.theinverterstore.com/all-inverters.html
I remove the 3 house batteries from my motor home each Fall and hook them up to the unit. I don't know how long the batteries will run the system but judging from their performance in the RV, I'll bet it will be more than 10 hours. They're heavy duty gel type deep cycle units.

I have since installed a propane auto start back-up generator but I continue to hook up my batteries to the inverter as it serves as a high quality battery maintainer over the winter.

I don't see the unit that I purchased being offered now.

Status
Not open for further replies.