Circulator question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheapsx

Apr 29, 2010
adirondacks
In a parallel add on boiler installation it is recommended that the return to the wood boiler be plumbed in between the circulator pump and oil boiler return. The problem I see with this is the possibility of pushing water to the wood boiler when the oil boiler is working and the wood one is not in use. So you stop it with a valve right. Well what if you are not home to shut the valve when the wood boiler goes out? Can you tap into the return line on the oil boiler prior to the pump? This would prevent feeding the wood boiler when it is not in use and hopefully the wood boiler will be pulling the water back it needs when it's working. Lets say that I leave the t-stats and zone valves on the oil boiler and turn down the aquastat on it and just run the wood one at a higher level to keep the oil one satisfied. So if the wood boiler is moving water and no zone is calling for heat the water will feed backwards through the oil boiler possibly turning the oil boiler circulator pump backwards. If this is happening and a zone calls for heat and opens, when the oil boiler circulator starts will it be able to overcome that possible backwards rotation that is occurring?
This would be the easiest way for me to tie these boilers together with my current plumbing. Easier is better and with a swing checks on the supply and return the oil boiler couldn't push to the wood one but the wood one could push to the oil. I just don't want to have to throw a valve every time the fire goes out.

nofossil said:
Check out the 'Simplest Pressurized Storage' sticky at the top of this forum. Ignore the storage part - it shows two boilers plumbed in parallel.

Yes it's done the way I would like, but my oil return circulator isn't checked. I don't want it to be checked so it will actually push backwards in the oil boiler when the house isn't calling for heat. Two reasons but maybe I am wrong here. One; it will keep the oil boiler from firing when there is a call for heat. Two; it give me a few more gallons of hot water sitting there to let the fire get going when there is a call for heat, a larger buffer of sorts. Keep in mind this is a conventional add on boiler. I want to put in storage but not sure it will happen this season. My main concern is if the water flow gets that pump turning backwards when there is a call for it and it turns on I am not sure if ( I think it will ) it will overcome that backwards rotation, rather than sit there as if the rotor is locked. Keeping the oil boiler hot may be wrong but I don't want to switch the controls till I put in the storage so I figured this would be the easiest way to do it.

Usually, you want a check valve in each circulator. Both Taco and Grundfos circulators are available with a built-in check valve at very little extra cost. Of course, you'll have to replace your existing circulator or add a check valve. I'd suggest replacing it - they're not all that expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.