Cited Firebox Volumes... 'Real World' ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
I'm curious whether firebox volumes typically quoted by stove manufacturers tend to be 'absolute' <OR> 'usable'.

Granted, most of us don't feed our stoves with cubic foot chunks... and actual or absolute volumes can only be loaded partially anyway, but I wonder if the volumes cited are 'real world' or not...

And or... has anyone here worked out a rule of thumb with respect to the amount of wood that can actually be loaded into a stove that's cited nominally as (e.g.) 2 cubic feet.

Thanks.

Peter B.

-----

It is bound to vary by manufacturer but one can expect them to use whatever sounds the best. RSF has the following caveat:
Based on overall firebox dimensions, EPA official firebox dimensions are smaller.

Most manufactures measure absolute volume right up to the glass and some even include everything above the baffle. My old Homestead claimed 2.0 and it was actually about 1.7 and My Fireview states 2.1 but it has andirons in front of the glass, so the usable cu ft is a bit less. The general rule of thumb is 20lbs of hardwood to each 1cu ft of firebox.

Thanks to both of you for your replies...

After some 20 years burning wood in much the same environment, only this year have I tried to frame in some 'numbers' with respect to my normal wood consumption... and try to make comparisons to expectable results from EPA stoves.

I frankly think, despite all the tinkering with my quaint antique, a nice modern stove would probably blow me out of the room... or actually allow me to use some other rooms in the house during the winter.

Maybe next year...

Peter B.

-----

Status
Not open for further replies.