City dropped off some 'big' wood yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
I talked to the head guy at the city who's in charge of the tree removal all throughout the city a while back. Yesterday he stopped by and asked if I could handle some big wood. He said they don't like messing with it and are just going to take it to the landfill. Next thing I know 2 dump trucks stopped by work and dropped some nice size trunk wood of what I think is white oak. The kicker is that it's all cut 18" or less (at least most is). Here's a few pictures...

Attachments

• bigwood.jpg
    bigwood.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 808
  • bigwood2.jpg
    bigwood2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 819
  • bigwood3.jpg
    bigwood3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 803
Free wood delivered, gotta love that. They do that around here too, and I'd be on the list if I lived in the city limits.

I'll probably get more next week. I said something about not even cutting it and the crew said no way I was gonna work them out of a job! lol... If I keep getting drops from them like this I'll just sell the saw (not really ;-P) I actually like the big rounds because you can just set the splitter on vertical and sit on the stump and split forever. Lots of wood in those big rounds. They dump it at my work and I load my pickup with the forklift. Took 4 loads of these things to equal their 2... 4 hairy bumper almost dragging for 10 miles loads. They told me that noone wants to mess with this stuff. I don't like cutting these big rounds but splitting is great and loading is easy with a forklift. I was thinking about bringing the splitter down to work, but didn't want to make it look like I was in the firewood business. The only problem is that I'm going to have to expand my stacks now. I was almost ready to start bucking the pecan I had to finish out the stacks in front up to 6'. Who knows what year I'll be working on before too long.

Finally you can take sdvantage of your tax dollars! My back hurts just looking at that stuff..

Great score!! Why can't they dump it at your house? Seems like it would cut out some handling. If you miss the saw, making noodles is always fun.

I keep the wood at my dad's house which is in the county so it would look odd and be a complete hookup to get them to dump it out there. I don't mind rehandling it too much. The forklift makes it easier.

That dense heart wood burns better than anything, nice job.

Took off yesterday early to start splitting these monsters. I found pretty quickly that I need a nice sharp hatchet because the biggest rounds are oak and do pop almost in half but not quite. I can save a lot of energy to just pop it in the back which will mean I only have to move half a round. The other thing that I somehow overlooked was that the 4 really big rounds are oak but the rest is pecan. Pecan isn't too hard to split, but it's so stringy that you've got to run it all the way down and again... a sharp hatchet would have been really useful to get those strings that were hanging on. I'm off to try and find a fiskars hatchet now. I didn't even get half done but sure got a work out. Supposed to get 3+ inches of rain over the next 4 days so it'll have to wait. There sure is a lotta wood in that pile. I'm probably working on 2 or 3 years out now and thinking I shouldn't be looking for much else unless they drop it off again then I won't turn it down.

good score, its silver maple

TAKE ALL YOU CAN GET AND while your at it by that crew a case of gatorade or something...Our local guys stop for coffee/breakfast at 9am every morning at this one diner. sometimes I stop by there and tell the folks that all of theri breakfast is on me

gawd dawg you got some nice rounds there for sure!

love splittin that big stuff, sheesh, get 'em to drop it ALL off if you can handle it!

Excellent! Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.