City Tax refund (pics)(update)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamess67

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
Well sort of. My city street dept manages the trees in town. When they are downed or dead they cut them down and haul the trees to the city yard. This yard is open to anyone to come and cut their own wood.
Here are some pics of todays score. Its two trailer loads ( too tired for another) full of Maple, Oak and Walnut (I think) ranging in size of 4" to 3 ft in diameter.
Its nice to get something back after paying taxes.
Just though Id share.

Also I compiled a 60 picture file of common tree bark. I copied the pics and laminated them to make a book so I know what Im cutting when I go shopping at the street dept yard. If you would like a copy of the file, email me and Ill send you one.

Attachments

• 100_2391.JPG
    100_2391.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 865
  • 100_2392.JPG
    100_2392.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 872
That hackberry bark just screams "You'll never split me!!!"

Don't see the Hackberry but I do see Maple, Walnut and Sassafras. Very nice. :)
In my town they would never allow people to cut their own wood! "too much liability" is what you always hear. :mad:

James67 that site of yours is a wealth of information...excellent job.

Holy Cow!

savageactor7 said:
James67 that site of yours is a wealth of information...excellent job.

Holy Cow!

Awee just something I threw together. Thanks for the cudos.

My city does the same thing and the last 2 years I've cut up about an 8 cord mix of Black Locust, Oak, Maple, Boxelder, Elm, Birch and about all the Pine I want. It's first come first serve, so I check their recycle yard frequently. I would think liability would be an issue and even asked if they wanted me to sign anything, but they just said be careful and if you need any logs moved around ask.

Todd said:
My city does the same thing and the last 2 years I've cut up about an 8 cord mix of Black Locust, Oak, Maple, Boxelder, Elm, Birch and about all the Pine I want. It's first come first serve, so I check their recycle yard frequently. I would think liability would be an issue and even asked if they wanted me to sign anything, but they just said be careful and if you need any logs moved around ask.

Same here. Aint it great!!!!

Bookmarked. Thank you.

I have the pictures in a zip file now and can email them to whom ever wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.