CL 031av and 032av in Me.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2011
jackmanistan, maine
Reactions: Dyno625 and ScotO
I love the old Stihls....some of the best saws ever produced.
Outside of my Husky 372XP, the old Stihls are all that I run.......they are badass!
Some pics of my "babies".......

2012-05-27_07-31-17_685.jpg 2012-02-19_10-00-36_345.jpg 2012-03-22_18-14-32_496.jpg 2013-05-19_13-52-21_312.jpg 2012-04-14_14-55-22_72.jpg 2012-04-07_13-37-37_105.jpg 100_3051.JPG 2013-06-14_13-27-56_381.jpg

Sorry......got a little caught up in the moment......;em

it's ok I like old stihls. My buddy picked up an 075 about 6yrs back for $200 at a yard sale, the guy wanted 4. That thing is ridiculous in every sense of the word. It came with a three foot bar of off a feller buncher.

Reactions: ScotO
it's ok I like old stihls. My buddy picked up an 075 about 6yrs back for $200 at a yard sale, the guy wanted 4. That thing is ridiculous in every sense of the word. It came with a three foot bar of off a feller buncher.
That saw in the picture I'm standing next to is my ported 051AV with a 42" bar. Its basically an 075/76. And it's impressive.
I've got several 075/076 saws in my barn, all awaiting rebuilds. Most are in great shape, some need carb overhauls or some magnesium parts (stripped out holes in the cases, etc). I'll be doing a Woods-port and squish band mod on one of those 076's, along with a custom muffler and a velocity stack......something to play around with....;)

15hp+?

I have both of those saws myself and I like them more than the new saws I have. Can't decide why, maybe the fact that they are all metal and seem like a serious tool. Not a plastic toy.

I had an 031AV just like that. If it starts by spraying fuel they probably just need a carb cleaning...worst case a carb kit...and you're in business.

My 031 with a "muffler mod" (read: it's missing the internal baffle, ;lol) runs damned good. I keep a 16" bar on it, my FIL commented that it sounds like a dirtbike and I replied "and it's about that much fun to run!" >>

old stihls looked better imo and were tougher.

I love the old Stihls....some of the best saws ever produced.

I have both of those saws myself and I like them more than the new saws I have. Can't decide why, maybe the fact that they are all metal and seem like a serious tool. Not a plastic toy.

My 031 with a "muffler mod" (read: it's missing the internal baffle, ;lol) runs damned good. I keep a 16" bar on it, my FIL commented that it sounds like a dirtbike and I replied "and it's about that much fun to run!" >>

You guys have it all right! Got my first one about 1980, and 5 more old used ones the past year!::-) Been slowly fixing them up to sell (most received new Caber rings, electronic conversions, carb rebuilds, new paint jobs). I've got 2 of the old style, 4 of the newer ones. Attached some photos of the "031AV table" in the garage, and one of the old style ones all fixed and painted up. That's an old Oregon bar on it that was solid rust and tar (saw came from a roofing company and was used for demo work) before cleanup and painting. The complete saw in the upper middle of the table is my original 1980 saw. The partial saw in the lower left is all rebuilt and ready to paint, check out that shiny cleaned cylinder!

Many of you know I have a hoard of other newer Stihl saws, but I too have a special "thing" for these old gems.

031.c.jpg

031.a.jpg

031.b.jpg

Reactions: Dyno625 and ScotO
Here is a picture of my 031 and 032. New bars and chains and a little clean up and they look good for the age.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371677007438.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371677007438.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 660
Reactions: Boog and ScotO
You guys have it all right! Got my first one about 1980, and 5 more old used ones the past year!::-) Been slowly fixing them up to sell (most received new Caber rings, electronic conversions, carb rebuilds, new paint jobs). I've got 2 of the old style, 4 of the newer ones. Attached some photos of the "031AV table" in the garage, and one of the old style ones all fixed and painted up. That's an old Oregon bar on it that was solid rust and tar (saw came from a roofing company and was used for demo work) before cleanup and painting. The complete saw in the upper middle of the table is my original 1980 saw. The partial saw in the lower left is all rebuilt and ready to paint, check out that shiny cleaned cylinder!

Many of you know I have a hoard of other newer Stihl saws, but I too have a special "thing" for these old gems.

View attachment 104844

View attachment 104845

[BATTACH=full]104846[/ATTACH]

Boog....there must be something in the water out your way....you and Dex with that OCD and those saws!

Reactions: Boog
Status
Not open for further replies.