CL ad stirs the pot...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/1512840790.html
In case it expires.

"north jersey craigslist > for sale / wanted > farm & garden

Looking to trade a Husqvarna 455 Rancher (used once) for a new or equal Stihl MS 290 Chain Saw. Call Eric at 973-919-8650 for info.

I guess somebody finally caught on. :lol:

Lesson 1 . . . Don't give good money for anything called "Rancher'. I'ma Stihl guy and all, but this advice includes "Farm Boss" :-/

I don't like it either... Mainly because it weighs a to. Go ahead, call me a wimp, I can handle it. It may even be true. But I picked that thing up and immediately said forget it, I'll take the 290pro.

heffergm said:
I don't like it either... Mainly because it weighs a to. Go ahead, call me a wimp, I can handle it. It may even be true. But I picked that thing up and immediately said forget it, I'll take the 290pro.

I had concerns about the weight too but after using it it doesn't feel heavy to me any more.

I have a Husquvarna 55 rancher with 20" bar cuts circles around my uncles 028 wit 16" both older saws and hangs with my brothers new ms290 with 20" bar. Plus it weights less than my 031 which is smaller and now won't run.

And here i run a ms460 all the time! Maybe i should try a lighter saw?

heffergm said:

With a blindfold on you'd never feel the difference between a 290 and a 361

oilstinks said:
And here i run a ms460 all the time! Maybe i should try a lighter saw?

yep it is funny to hear eveyone cry about weight of a saw, bring a strong saw and you will only cry about the weight of the wood.....

[/quote]
yep it is funny to hear eveyone cry about weight of a saw, bring a strong saw and you will only cry about the weight of the wood.....[/quote]

well said.

Well, the guy got a bit confused on names and numbers, but that's not a first.

I've got an 029, which is the same thing as a 290 of course, and I'd agree that it is heavier (and bulkier) than its power would cause you to expect. They are not powererful saws or light saws. I could say that my 361 beats my 029 on both counts, its lighter and more powerful, but that would be a poor comparison because the 029 was half the price of its more powerful sister.

This is just a sort of observaton; a lot of times an owner isn't thrilled with a saw because they feel its too heavy or its underpowered but they wouldn't feel that way if they'd just go to a 2" shorter bar/chain combination. Ask yourself, how often do I have the tip of the bar burried in a round of wood I'm cutting off? If the answer is never then why are you carring around that exta weight and demanding your saw put up with the extra drag of the long chain and run? And if the answer is 'now and then' why don't you cut one side and then walk around to the other? Every now and then you'll see a kid, its always a kid, who has a 24" bar on an 026 or something dumb like that, and you just gotta laugh like hell. "What's he gonna do with that thing? Duzzat thing even have the power to spin that chain?" you ask yourself. Like I said, ya see it all the time.

You put an 18" chain on a 290 and it will cut nicely, but it will still be a heavy saw. That's not so bad if you just stand there and chop off rounds all day long, but if you are the guy who's out there knocking those limbs off or the guy cutting off the stumps its not going to become a favored saw. Still, you could do a lot worse. Oh, and I almost forgot. I don't know about anyone elses, but my 29 is the easiest starting saw I've ever had. I don't think I've ever had to pull the rope 3 times. That's got to count for a bit.

Bigg_Redd said:

Interesting cuttin' technique there. Just for bucking, or falling too?

CrawfordCentury said:
Bigg_Redd said:

I grew up and live in a logging town. I've cut and burned firewood all my life. I know dozens of loggers and dozens more firewood cutters. Before I joined up here I'd never heard anyone complain about the weight of a saw. It's like a godd_mn feedback loop in here.

Bigg_Redd said:
CrawfordCentury said:
Bigg_Redd said:

I grew up and live in a logging town. I've cut and burned firewood all my life. I know dozens of loggers and dozens more firewood cutters. Before I joined up here I'd never heard anyone complain about the weight of a saw. It's like a godd_mn feedback loop in here.

lol I have never hurt my back on a saw either but have many of time with the wood the saw cut.

Bigg_Redd said:
LOL, i always wondered about that. There's always so much work to be done that if i was tired from saw work, i'd just move on to the next thing. I've never been SO tired that I just had to quit for the day.

Bigg_Redd said:
CrawfordCentury said:
Bigg_Redd said:

Sounds pretty bad@$$ - a whole community of folks that run saws blindfolded. Well, maybe not bad@$$ - more like Jedi.

Personally, weight is a pretty small consideration in the grand scheme of things. I'm not an overpowering individual, but really only notice weight if I'm going from the 041 down to the 210. Part of that is vibe more than gross weight.

Edit: Forgot about my old homelite 550. That's in the 20lb neighborhood. I definitely do notice THAT!

CrawfordCentury said:
Bigg_Redd said:
CrawfordCentury said:
Bigg_Redd said:

Sounds pretty bad@$$ - a whole community of folks that run saws blindfolded. Well, maybe not bad@$$ - more like Jedi.

Personally, weight is a pretty small consideration in the grand scheme of things. I'm not an overpowering individual, but really only notice weight if I'm going from the 041 down to the 210. Part of that is vibe more than gross weight.

Edit: Forgot about my old homelite 550. That's in the 20lb neighborhood. I definitely do notice THAT!

I'm old enough I remember when people actually used Homelites :lol:

But seriously . . . all this sheetz about cutting blindfolded and whinin about how heavy the saw is Too Freakin Funny!!!

No one should mind the weight of the saw, as long as the cut don't take so long you actully got time to think about the weight. Hey, that old Homelite used it's weight to push it's way through the wood.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
[
No one should mind the weight of the saw, as long as the cut don't take so long you actully got time to think about the weight. Hey, that old Homelite used it's weight to push it's way through the wood.

I run an old Mac 10-10 on occasion. Can't think of a machine that more efficiently converts gasoline into decibels. Thing shouts its way through the kerf!

Awesome saw to run at 8am on January 1 if you're PO'd at any close by neighbors!

Alot of those old red and powder blue XL-12's still out there from back when Homelites were THE saw. Poulan made a good saw back then, as well as Mac.

21.5 pounds of pounding giant piston, barking in your ear while trying to make you into a sawdust snowman. I retired this thing several years ago before it retired me.

***full disclosure: this pic is NOT of my saw, but mine is identical, with the addition of "Bobcat" stickers on the tanks***
It was like trying to hold a deep cycle marine battery out in front of you.

Attachments

• bobcat.jpg
    bobcat.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 167
Status
Not open for further replies.