CL ad... Wood prices are going up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nater

Jan 3, 2011
Southern Maine
I knew the price of wood was going to go up since oil was going up, but this guy is crazy. I bet it doesn't even include delivery.

seasoned fire wood (Rochester, NH)

Date: 2011-04-09, 9:27AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

cord to a cord and a half Moving and need to get rid of ASAP! Wood is seasoned and cut into pieces

400.00 or BEST OFFER!

The price seems about right from a lot of what I've seen around here - about $250/cord ($375 for 1.5 cord). The kicker is having to pick up the wood yourself - I agree that for that price I'd want it (and could get it) delivered. But.....I'm guessing next year's wood prices are going to go up, following oil. We'll see. Glad I'm a scrounger! Cheers!

I was just joking about the prices going up that much. The guy obviously doesn't know what it is worth and didn't even see what others were selling for.

Another CL ad in the same town...
FIRE WOOD (ROCHESTER,NH)

Date: 2011-04-06, 9:34PM EDT
Reply to: see below

I have 3 year seasoned fire wood 6 cord's left.$200.00 a-cord
and I also have green wood for sale $150.00 a-cord
will cut and split all wood to you'r length's
the best part FREE DELIVERY 20 MILES OF ROCHESTER,NH

3 year seasoned? Right.... And he will cut and split it for you. So, it is in long log form....and seasoned......

Flavo said:
Not that I really know. It seems that might be more appropriate in an area w/ less forest/more people. In NH though I would think that it would be cheaper.

Grapple loads are cheaper in fairly built up eastern MA than fairly rural central NH. I suspect supply and demand is partially responsible. I'm pretty sure NH has bigger paper mills, a huge pellet mill, lots of part-time/hobby sawmills, fewer people paying tree services to remove unhealthy trees removed from their back three acres, and a greater percentage of the population providing a measurable portion of their heat with wood.

Split wood is cheaper in NH. I think its because there are more rednecks with wood lots, chainsaws, and pickup trucks. ;-)

I saw oak on NH Craiglist for $55 for 1/8 cord or $440 per cord!

i think he meant cut and split the green stuff to your specs,not every wood monger is a lying ill-informed vermin type ,

roddy said:
i think he meant cut and split the green stuff to your specs,not every wood monger is a lying ill-informed vermin type ,
$600 a cord here in NC from the local supermarket/convenience store, packaged in nifty .75cf plastic-wrapped bundles. Only kicker is it still hisses like a pissed off cat LOL

I will never, ever pay for wood ever. Unless it goes on sale for a $1 a bundle at the supermarket :)

KarlP said:
Split wood is cheaper in NH. I think its because there are more rednecks with wood lots, chainsaws, and pickup trucks. ;-)

lol ;-)

Thistle said:
KarlP said:

lol ;-)
No way there are more rednecks, chainsaws, or pickup trucks in NH than NC :)
But you all depend on the heat longer that is for sure. I lit my last fire for "nostaglic" reasons in early March. And it was too hot in the house!

74 & sunshine here on Wednesday,44 with cold rain & 35MPH gusts from the NNE today.Small fire of scraps/odds & ends burning for a couple hours to take the chill off.

Ive seen ads on CG in my area of people that are moving or switched to pellets and are selling their wood for top dollar. Ive seen $250 a cord and you have to pick up, no way. I personally wouldnt pay more than $75-100 bucks a cord if I have to pick it up.
I bought 4 cords of seasoned oak from a guy I know who switched to pellets for $80 a cord last year. He has one more cord of oak and 3 cords of hickory left he wants to sell me so I may pick up those 4 cords soon as my racks are all finished. last time he threw in a log cart for free, this years he trying to sell an electric splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.