CL (Craigslist) score? 1 cord (4x4x8, they say) of green wood cut split and delivered for $100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creature

Jul 18, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Of course I'm still skeptical. I know with the wood species around here (Alder, Maple, Fir, etc.) it'll dry in about 6 months, especially where I am (lots of sun and wind) but I'm still hesitating ... not sure why. For $100, it's hard to pass up.

I'd buy two cords. Won't be usable this winter but should be great next winter. Just make sure they're square with you on the full cord.
Does 'delivered' mean 'stacked?' If not stacked, ask if he'll promise to top off the stack if he comes up short, once you've stacked it.

around here $120 /cord fresh cut dead ash cut, split, delivered ,but not stacked.

I think I might get one cord since they're not too clear on species in the ad or when I asked them via email ("Mixed Fir,Hemlock,Alder,Oak etc"). Around this city, that's a really good deal, but not so much if it's a load of cedar (that'd be the "etc" in the ad, I assume).

Typical wood species up there are probably the same as down here. I would ask them about the species and mix. You could get crappy species like grand (AKA: piss) fir, cedar, and cottonwood. Or you can get wet and dirty wood like my ex did once when I was not around. I buy one species at a time myself from a local guy that does over 100 cords a year here to avoid any chance of being disappointed. I pay $180 a cord for 18 month barn dried doug fir, split and delivered. That is a good price here, more typically it is $200-$225 in the VAN-POR area.

$100 CDN seems really cheap though, for any kind of firewood, split and delivered. If you have the space, may as well load up now. There will be another winter next year. Around here they are starting to run out of seasoned wood and sell green stuff too. The guy I buy from said I bought his last cord for the year. I live close and he did me a favor, but its good wood and it was well over a cord. Maybe 1.25 cord loose stacked, just over a full cord tightly stacked. Maybe buy one cord as a test, and buy more if it is any good. If it is crap species, size, poorly split, etc. you can still burn it next winter, but look for another source.

Status
Not open for further replies.