CL guy found a way to get rid of his poplar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

granpajohn

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2007
Central Maryland
I guess that in our area, poplar is plentiful and just not worth the effort:

---------------------------
Fire Wood (Davidsonville)

Date: 2011-09-20, 12:11PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Firewood FREE to first come. Two large oak and one large poplar trees cut to 16" to 18" logs but not split. Take what you will but must take one piece of poplar for each two pieces of oak - we need to get this out of our yard and driveway. JCH
-----------------------------

Wonder how much luck he'll have.....

granpajohn said:

Firewood FREE to first come. Two large oak and one large poplar trees cut to 16" to 18" logs but not split. Take what you will but must take one piece of poplar for each two pieces of oak - we need to get this out of our yard and driveway. JCH

In another thread I started, there was a guy from Annapolis that needs to get some wood. That would have been right up his ally. Heck, yesterday I took a 1/2 truckload of poplar for what is going to amount to 4 1/2 truckloads of oak. If I was a little closer to Davidsonville and still needed wood, I would seriously consider that deal, especially since the wood is already cut up. Thing is, I am maxed out on wood right now until I get this all stacked. As everybody already says on here, the poplar is good for shoulder season and then the oak can be used for the really cold days. Heck, free poplar is free poplar. I am willing to bet that the guy will get rid of all that wood.

Then again, it is like my dad said today. "Why take the junk wood when you already have so much and can start being selective?" At the beginning of August, when I had ZERO wood, I would have taken everything that this guy has available. For those that have been procrastinating, I bet they will take everything he has considering tomorrow is the first day of fall.

I'm afraid it's just one of many poplar ads that keep circulating here. Hard to get rid of it. Maybe you're right about the fall season being just the incentive needed.

I guy in Edgewater gave me some maple and gum, but his poplar was too large for me to handle. I would have had to bring the splitter down there; split and haul; just to get it to the road. Lots of work for poplar.

I admit I have taken some more reasonably sized poplars in the past. My complaint is that when green, it weighs about as much as other woods. Then it dries and heats about half of other woods. Just doesn't seem fair :).

I commend him for being up front and trying to be creative.
We have a guy in my area that has been posting on CL for a year saying " I have 2 pine and 2 maple trees to take down. Yours free if you take all 4" But when you get the details they are huge honker pines and two 4" diameter maples. He did start asking for you to pay him for the privilege but then moved to this offer. I suspect if he waits posts long enough (30 years or so) maybe he'll find a taker:)

But if the price is right, twice the pieces for the same BTU's of hardwood is still worth considering!
And I'm speaking from a converted heart, because I used to throw away poplar and only burn better hardwood.
Now I burn dry wood. Maple or poplar, yellow birch or fir. Yes, even the dreaded pine! :)
I appreciate the CL guy figuring out how to make sure all his wood was removed, including the unpopular poplar!

granpajohn said:
I'm afraid it's just one of many poplar ads that keep circulating here. Hard to get rid of it. Maybe you're right about the fall season being just the incentive needed.

I guy in Edgewater gave me some maple and gum, but his poplar was too large for me to handle. I would have had to bring the splitter down there; split and haul; just to get it to the road. Lots of work for poplar.

I admit I have taken some more reasonably sized poplars in the past. My complaint is that when green, it weighs about as much as other woods. Then it dries and heats about half of other woods. Just doesn't seem fair :).

Man, I just dropped two gum trees and spent a couple hours splitting a single truckload of the stuff. I've left the rest of the gum where it lays on the property. I am ranking that wood right along with poplar.

I will completely agree with you about the poplar. I did 1/2 truckload of green poplar yesterday and the other 1/2 of the truckload was green oak. They felt like they weighed the same when I was throwing them into and out of the truck. Thing is, I have a couple pieces of well seasoned poplar and they are light as a feather and I know they are going to go up real quick.

Free wood is free wood is free wood.It will dry.It will burn.It will keep your butt warm. :lol: Granted it burns fast but it's all BTU's.

John the Painter said:
Free wood is free wood is free wood.It will dry.It will burn.It will keep your butt warm. :lol: Granted it burns fast but it's all BTU's.

+1 Poplar is a quick seasoning wood that is great for the shoulder season. I bet he'll have quite a bit of luck getting rid of it.

I've worked on similar terms before but it was one for one. 1 poplar for one prime hardwood (oak, white ash, hard maple). Why would a person do that when they have an infinite supply of prime hardwoods elsewhere?

The wood was easy to get to (just drive the truck up next to the tree) and on the ground already. This wood is already bucked, I bet that will disappear rather quickly.

Another funny thing that my wife and I both noticed was the post-storm reports in our local newspaper. They repeatedly identified the poplars that blew down specifically, such as " a poplar fell on the house....a poplar tree was blocking the road", etc. Anything else was just a "tree". And they were somewhat justified in their malignment of the species. The damn things just seem to snap right off in a strong wind.

BTW, for those from Canada and other climates; the trees we call poplar are actally tulip trees, yellow poplar...not a true poplar. Beautiful trees that thrive in the swamps of Anne Arundel County. They grow taller than any tree in their surrounding.

And if any other tree lovers are interested....Out near where FabsRoman lives; the WSSC (our local water authority) keeps a famous azalea garden on the shore at the Tridelphia Dam. It is shaded by the healthiest, tallest, prettiest tulip poplars you've ever seen. They take good care of it. Wonderful azaleas too, of course. Worth a visit in May.

Edit: Well, now that I opened my mouth...here's a link about it (not the WSSC link). I haven't been there in over 10 years.
http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/brighton_dam_azalea_garden

granpajohn said:
Another funny thing that my wife and I both noticed was the post-storm reports in our local newspaper. They repeatedly identified the poplars that blew down specifically, such as " a poplar fell on the house....a poplar tree was blocking the road", etc. Anything else was just a "tree". And they were somewhat justified in their malignment of the species. The damn things just seem to snap right off in a strong wind.

BTW, for those from Canada and other climates; the trees we call poplar are actally tulip trees, yellow poplar...not a true poplar. Beautiful trees that thrive in the swamps of Anne Arundel County. They grow taller than any tree in their surrounding.

And if any other tree lovers are interested....Out near where FabsRoman lives; the WSSC (our local water authority) keeps a famous azalea garden on the shore at the Tridelphia Dam. It is shaded by the healthiest, tallest, prettiest tulip poplars you've ever seen. They take good care of it. Wonderful azaleas too, of course. Worth a visit in May.

Edit: Well, now that I opened my mouth...here's a link about it (not the WSSC link). I haven't been there in over 10 years.
http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/brighton_dam_azalea_garden

Yep, the Triadelphia area is really beautiful. In May, I am planning on taking my then 5 and 3 year olds over there for some fishing. Took them to Outdoor World the other day and they found a Disney Princess and a Disney Toy Story rod that they like. My 4 year old daughter helped me for 30 minutes over the weekend on the splitter. She was running the lever and she was doing a great job while she was doing it.

Gotta love them poplars. Lucky me, I only have 5 trees in my yard and not a single one of them is a poplar. Granted, not a single one of them is an oak either. Three pines, one maple, and one tree that I have yet to figure out what it is. Opps, forgot about the two weeping willows. So, I have all of 7 trees.

Not a bad deal . . . oak for the dead of winter and poplar for the shoulder seasons. I would take it all and thank the home owner if I lived near by.

granpajohn said:

Ha ! Change that to pine here and you'd have no takers.

Or you'd find piles of pine on the side of the road not too far down the street.

I'll burn soft wood when it's convenient for me.
Maybe it's my increasing Yankee frugality but I just can't see wasting good hardwood in the shoulder season and having windows and doors open throwing that heat away.

I would take the poplar and burn it in the spring,I hate to waste good stuff in the fall or spring,I burn poplar,box elder,soft maple in the shoulder season on purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.