CL Laugh of the Day-The Gear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
speakign of those things, my neighbor is tearing out his old stove that has one on there.... should i ask him for it?
Run Forrest, run. Not on an epa stove (really, not on any stove). EPA stoves are already stingy with exhaust temps. You really don't want to cool them any more or you could be getting into the creosote danger zone.

ETA - and they ARE known as a creosote factory. They come pre-built with a creosote scrapper right on the unit.

Several threads here about them. Short answer: Yes, because they are made of sheet metal, and if you take it to the scrapyard with the old stove, you'll get an extra three cents! ;)

Run Forrest, run. Not on an epa stove (really, not on any stove). EPA stoves are already stingy with exhaust temps. You really don't want to cool them any more or you could be getting into the creosote danger zone.

ETA - and they ARE known as a creosote factory. They come pre-built with a creosote scrapper right on the unit.
good to know :)

They come pre-built with a creosote scrapper right on the unit.

Is that really true? :) I know they're called creosote factories around here, I didn't know the manufacturer knew it too!

Is that really true? :) I know they're called creosote factories around here, I didn't know the manufacturer knew it too!
The original Magic Heat had a rod that would move scrapers over the internal tubes. Its sole purpose was to scrape creosote from the tubes. I assume the design hasn't been changed in years. There was a button in the middle of the face of the unit. You pulled it out, then slid it back into place to clean the tubes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jatoxico
speakign of those things, my neighbor is tearing out his old stove that has one on there.... should i ask him for it?

Most definitely . . . you can make creosote, bag it in paper bags and sell it on Craigslist as Ye Olde Fire Starters.

Reactions: Jazzberry
I emailed this guy with a reasonable offer...he laughed (in the email) at me. They sell for $1000 brand new, $900 on sale from time to time with assembly and oil. ;hm
Splitter.png

Reactions: dougand3
Always like those ads when you know likely bought on sale and now asking list price- or the guy on the same list selling " Honda Clones" for list price when he is buying them on sale at Harbor Freight.

This guy openly told me he bought it at Fleet Farm (who includes engine and hydraulic oil). Then he told me Fleet didn't include oil and he bought premium stuff. When I asked what it was, he wouldn't tell me. He thinks that the oil is worth a few hundred bucks.

I'm always mystified by ads like that (there are so many!), but maybe it's just an exercise in fantasy. Years ago a friend confessed to habitually bidding early and low on expensive things on eBay, knowing that she wouldn't be the high bidder. It was just a way of pretending to be able to afford whatever it was.

Reactions: Tegbert
I see a lot of used stuff listed for new prices. Guns seem to be the most common item for that.
Last year around this time cabelas had a screaming deal on Yamaha generators. About a month later I saw a guy selling three of them, each one was $100 over the cabelas sale price.

There was an $800 chainsaw, used, for $1200 a few pages back, if I recall.

My guess is that some people can't be arsed to google it first, some people are too dumb to google it at all, and some people are too embarrassed to admit to themselves that they paid double for their wossit.

upload_2017-2-13_15-23-44.png

Reactions: Ashful
I have that same homelite saw from a swap meet for 20$. The kid has it in pieces on the floor in the shop. And to think I could buy a car with the money id make painting it

Hey thats not just any paint. You would have to hire a whole kindergarten class to get results like that.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Some Mothers do have M

Zombie killing battery saw for $600. I've seen stupid but this is a special kind of stupid.

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/tls/6036198714.html
Stupid? No, it's sheer genius! It mounts on an AR-15, which means you can shoot the tree to keep it from running away or attacking you before you chop it up. And with a little skill I bet you can add a flamethrower, which means that you could use it to light the wood on fire. It's the only firewood tool you'll ever need--a bargain at twice the price! :p:p:p

Reactions: Espartaco