CL post says black locust should not be burned in woodstove???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's some real knowledge there. I guess I'm okay with all my black locust because I do not have a woodstove. I use an insert.:)
Scotty will appreciate this one.
You better get over and get that Rory so someone doesn't get a hold of that and ruin there woodstove. Just consider it a public service.

Reactions: ScotO
That's a hoot. Might melt cast iron. I know that some people feel that locust is a native exotic and should be reserved for floors and decks. I have burned enough of it to know the undeniable heat it puts forth and the relative ease with which it seasons. Not sure I'd make hardwood floors out of it though. Not the prettiest of wood.

We heard this a couple years ago too, I dont remember the source back then. I see a lot of CL posts around here of people giving away pine for your "firepit or outdoor boiler" not to be used in wood stoves as it will start a chimney fire etc... Some myths get said over and over so many times, people take it as gospel.

My dad has warped the doors on his old stove with BL and I've heard of others doing damage. But it really wasn't the fault of the wood. ;)

Back in the 70's when the farmers were clearing fence rows we burned many cords of BL. All three of our stoves look good so maybe the BL we burned was a lower BTU type.

That's some real knowledge there. I guess I'm okay with all my black locust because I do not have a woodstove. I use an insert.:)
You better get over and get that Rory so someone doesn't get a hold of that and ruin there woodstove. Just consider it a public service.

Unfortunately it is 9:30 on Friday and I can't make it over there in the time they will be there. Might see if I can arrange another day.

That's a hoot. Might melt cast iron. I know that some people feel that locust is a native exotic and should be reserved for floors and decks. I have burned enough of it to know the undeniable heat it puts forth and the relative ease with which it seasons. Not sure I'd make hardwood floors out of it though. Not the prettiest of wood.

but a fantastic bow wood.

Oh crud, I have a few truck loads of BL, should I just get rid of it now? hahahah.

People around here say the same thing about hedge (osage orange). Burns too hot...will ruin your stove. They make it sound like I'm throwing a few pounds of magnesium powder in the stove. I just tell them I'll take my chances.

People around here say the same thing about hedge (osage orange). Burns too hot...will ruin your stove. They make it sound like I'm throwing a few pounds of magnesium powder in the stove. I just tell them I'll take my chances.
For about the first 20 years I burned wood, nearly the only wood I burned was hedge and Black Locust.........and now they tell me :ZZZ;lol

Reactions: Thistle
Reactions: Thistle
Oh crud, I have a few truck loads of BL, should I just get rid of it now? hahahah.

Get rid of it quick! I know of a safe disposal site down in Westchester County just North of Croton on Hudson. PM me to make an appointment for drop off. ;)

Last spring a guy told me that too. I told him that I'd be just fine...and I was all of last winter.

I've also been told the moon is made of blue cheese and the earth is flat . . .

Just from looking at splits, end grain and color, I figured it would look good...but I've never seen a finished piece. Maybe you have if you've made a bow from some BL?

It varies in color like other woods with the location,type of soil etc.I know a guy in NE PA ( very knowledgeable antique tool dealer I buy a few things from several times a year) who built his cabinetmaker's bench from local milled BL entirely with hand tools some years back.That's dedication!>> The pics I remember showed a stunning piece for sure.He never did tell me how many hours he spent on it in spare time,guessing it was a few hundred time it was finished though.

Reactions: smokinj and ScotO
It varies in color like other woods with the location,type of soil etc.I know a guy in NE PA ( very knowledgeable antique tool dealer I buy a few things from several times a year) who built his cabinetmaker's bench from local milled BL entirely with hand tools some years back.That's dedication!>> The pics I remember showed a stunning piece for sure.He never did tell me how many hours he spent on it in spare time,guessing it was a few hundred time it was finished though.
It makes awesome tomahawk, axe and hammer handles too!

Reactions: smokinj
LMFAO. I guess I should probably throw my stove out then, because I've been burning BL and HL for YEARS, that stove has to be junk........;) I'll scrap my stove before I give up my locust! Y'all can have my locust......over my dead body!!!

Reactions: blujacket
Jake, the world is flat and BL does burn to hot....haha

We heard this a couple years ago too, I dont remember the source back then. I see a lot of CL posts around here of people giving away pine for your "firepit or outdoor boiler" not to be used in wood stoves as it will start a chimney fire etc... Some myths get said over and over so many times, people take it as gospel.

It may have been my post. I got a nice load of locust for free a few years ago. The homeowner had a woodstove, but said "ya can't burn locust, it burns like crap." I offered no argument and took all I could get. Love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.