CL saw project is done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjahnz

Burning Hunk
Oct 14, 2012
Minnesota
1385509499367.jpg 1385509673475.jpg I picked up this Stihl 066 Magnum in none running condition a couple weeks ago. The spark plug threads were toast and the piston and ring were melted together. After $140 in parts I have a 98.5 cc saw. The none oem cylinder had some casting flaws that I fixed and matched the new gasket to the larger exhaust port. I got a dual port exhaust muffler with the rebuild kit also. Now I have triplets.
Purchased the 066 for $180.

Last edited:
Something like gilitine, battle ax and samurai. Haha. Is that odd?

that is really high praise, for these three models. that 026 is over 15 yrs. old, I feel I owe it a overhaul, but it still runs strong. that 036 i bought this spring for $350 off of ebay. not very much time with it yet, but sure handles easy. I guess i should be looking harder for more wood.

I built a 650 that I picked up for $30 the plastic was toast, had a tree dropped on it. I have about $230 into it. Has 150 psi.

If I ever have to put P /C on it, it will be a 660. The 650 is only 84cc. But supposedly not as hard on crank and bearings as the 660. I gonna gut the muffler and widen the single exhaust post then even tually get the dp cover for it.

Had to put a pic or it didn't happen!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385596523336.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385596523336.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 249
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385596571463.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385596571463.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 262
I would have spent $30 on that jig saw puzzle too. you put it back together very well, looks nice.

Reactions: clemsonfor
IMAG0104.jpg Got to use that 066 today, it came in pretty handy. This was a 20 ft log that was brought down two yrs ago. I try to buck my wood 24" long, noodling seemed the right way to go. I like the power of that saw!

My 066 Magnum is the first saw I grab when cutting up firewood. Some would say it's too big but I love it. Once I got used to the power no other saw compared. The trouble is how much gas it uses.

I have a 32"and 24" bar for mine. I always keep plenty of chains ready to go.

Reactions: clemsonfor
They do drink the fuel.

They do drink the fuel.
i have no real proof, but, if i tried to do with my 026 what i can do with that 066, i'm guessing fuel consumption would be a wash. the time factor is going to be the bigger difference IMO.I'm going with the motto: little wood little saw, big wood big saw. Then if I could run across the perfect tree every time ( perfectly straight with perfectly straight branches ) life would be great.:cool:

I forgot I have a second 066 basket case that I was gathering parts for before we sold our last house. I got it cheap - I was in the right place at the right time. It didn't have a handlebar, all the chain brake hardware was gone and it was missing a lot of parts. It had 160 psi compression. I think I'll pull that project out this winter now that I have a garage again.

View attachment 118825 View attachment 118826 I picked up this Stihl 066 Magnum in none running condition a couple weeks ago. The spark plug threads were toast and the piston and ring were melted together. After $140 in parts I have a 98.5 cc saw. The none oem cylinder had some casting flaws that I fixed and matched the new gasket to the larger exhaust port. I got a dual port exhaust muffler with the rebuild kit also. Now I have triplets.
Purchased the 066 for $180.
Do you still have your old cylinder?Would you be interested in getting rid of it if you still have it?
Thanks Thomas

yes I do. I didn't spray muratic acid in the cylinder to see if the coating (nicasil) was not damaged. again the spark plug was cross threaded and the threads are junk. what would you use it for? paper weight?

I got one of those. Cyl probably good but with stripped threads and a bad helix oil its junk!

yes I do. I didn't spray muratic acid in the cylinder to see if the coating (nicasil) was not damaged. again the spark plug was cross threaded and the threads are junk. what would you use it for? paper weight?
I'v got a 064 i'd use it on.I could fix the threads so i'm not worried about them.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.