CL score... a year's worth in one spot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cnice_37

Mar 24, 2011
Assonet MA
More of a lurker here than poster, but I know you guys like scrounges.

I replied to a "free wood" CL add in a town over from me, and I couldn't believe just how much was there when I pulled up.

Took 3 days (maybe 18 hours total) and 9 truck loads. Had to cut it on site, load the P/U, and then about 25 minutes to home. Rather time consuming, but this puts me one year ahead (2012/2013). I reckon I've got 5 cords of nice Red Oak, and lost a few pounds in the process.

Now I can split/ stack in my yard when I have a couple hours here and there.

Where it sits is where my future wood shed will be built as well - even more reason to get it all split & stacked so I can start building that!

IMG_4888.jpg

That just awesome! Congrat! But.....don't take your time to split/stack that oak - it'll need every bit of that time to get ready for when you plan to burn it. Cheers!

Great stuff. That's the way to do it.

I'm jealous.

Very nice score.

maybe the pics are deceiving me no way thats 5 cords IMO. Hope it is, what a great score regardless.

jimosufan said:
maybe the pics are deceiving me no way thats 5 cords IMO. Hope it is, what a great score regardless.

I dont think its all in the picture, loading his truck up that many times full will be close to 5 cords. Nice score, I scored about the same, not done bringing it all home yet. Hope to finish this saturday.
I concur with the above poster, the sooner you split it the better as oak takes 2-3 years. Ive split one cord but have a lot more to go, thinking of buying/renting a splitter.
You get that off of Craigslist? I saw a couple free wood ads but too far from me and I have my hands full with the one I scored on.

jimosufan said:

Pics can be deceiving, but it's about 30 ft along the fence line there and an easy 12 ft out. Most of the rounds were too big to lift but with the help of the homeowner we loaded my truck and I rolled them off. Those big'uns usually yield a bunch of wood. My method was to buck only what I could take in one trip so it was usually 13 big rounds and then smaller stuff to fill the voids. Those big rounds were about 20" on average in diameter according to the length of my bar and I buck to 14" lengths. Quick math says 80 ft^3 in those monsters alone.

9 loads in a full size 8 ft bed is estimated at 4.5 cords so we'll see.

I've always been pretty picky about free wood on CL but this did pan out - with help and all!

A truck load of rounds always yeilds more wood.. By the time you split and stack it. Add the air space. My F-150 FX4 SuperCrew has a 5.5 ft bed. If I load it to the gills with Rounds. I get a little over half cord. I cant fit a Half Cord of Splits in the back of that little bed though.

Rounds make it look like less wood. Split it up. See what you got. 9 loads in my bed would just shy of 5 cord. So an 8 ft bed should be 5 Or Better.. Here is to hoping you got more.

cnice_37, that is very nice indeed! Good for you for getting all you can. Oh, don't try to burn that wood next winter. Stack it in the windiest spot you have and forget it for a couple of years then it will be super wood for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.