CL Score - Mostly Pine, Some Eukie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreePapa

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2008
Southern Calif.
I scored a "full" Ranger load (actually, 3/4 due to toolbox) of fresh cut, bucked, pine (w/ 4 eucalyptus logs about 10 to 12 in. by 16" long) this afternoon from a Craigslist ad (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/zip/1033206144.html). Turns out this gal is having most of the trees on her (hillside, high fire area) lot removed as part of a larger McMansionization project. To each their own. She was nice enough anyway. She even had the laborers who were working on the lot help me load the bigger pieces. I barely made a dent in the pile, and she said other folks had taken most of the smaller wood already. Most of what I got was about 10 to 12 inches, but I did get a fair number of 4 to 6 in. logs too. I'd go back this weekend for more, she doesn't want folks coming over the weekend, plus the workers won't be there to help load (my back is not 100% yet). Also, the steep street and relatively steep driveway rules out my trailer or I'd have gotten a lot more (I don't do reverse well w/ trailer, plus I'd be nervous w/ the steep street).

If she still has wood on Monday afternoon, I might go get another load. She says she'll have the workers there on Monday. If she manages to give it all away but Mon. afternoon, I'll be happy for her. I know I'll get more wood later. I'd like to find more hardwood, but I won't turn down pine (unless it's too big).

I didn't get a pic of her woodpile, but here are some pics of my haul.

The pics of the Ranger are today's haul. Yes, she's overloaded; I drove all surface streets, side streets when possible, and took it slow and easy - doesn't win any races, but got me, the wood, and the Ranger home safe. The pine log grove by the driveway includes the larger (i.e. 18 to 24 in.) rounds that I got when I messed up my back, plus more pine logs I found curbside last week. It doesn't include today's load (I had not unloaded yet). I'm planning on renting a splitter in a couple of weeks to split as much as I can in one day. At least the big pine rounds and the eukie (I could pound on eukie all weekend w/ a maul and likely not split it) and the longest of the 10 to 12-in pine. If some of the 10" to 12" logs are left, I'm sure I can split 'em with the maul after they develop some splitting cracks.

I'm getting a lot of green wood lately, especially pine, but I'm gonna try to buy a Ranger load of "split and seasoned" wood this weekend. Yeah, I know most wood sellers wouldn't know seasoned wood if they got knocked over the head with it, but I'm getting low and none of the green stuff is gonna be ready to burn before next winter.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Attachments

• WoodLoad1.jpg
    WoodLoad1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 353
  • WoodLoad2.jpg
    WoodLoad2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 342
  • woodload3.jpg
    woodload3.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 342
  • PineLogs1.jpg
    PineLogs1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 323
  • pine logs 3.jpg
    pine logs 3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 357
Nice find.

I am from southern California originally and found that Eucalyptus was a great wood. Lots of heat, not really fast burning. There is also usually a pretty good amount around as it was transplanted from Australia in the early part of the 20th century as wind breaks etc. Good find and good luck.

Forrest

I see a couple split challenges in that far right pic. :)

billb3 said:
I see a couple split challenges in that far right pic. :)

That's why I'm planning on renting a splitter in a couple of weeks. The local rental yard has a purty good vert./horz. splitter w/ a Honda engine, I think around 20 ton. In the vertical mode, as close as I can get it to the wood so I just have to roll and drag the wood to the splitter. If I can't split them "down the middle" I'll split slabs off until I can. I wouldn't try splitting those monsters w/ the maul unless I was Paul Bunyon.

Also, all the eukie will be split w/ the rental splitter. The stuff is really really hard to split by hand, in my experience. And I'll be sure to stand BEHIND the splitter, 'cuz I've seen eukie nearly "explode" when split. Even 'tho this stuff probably won't do that 'cuz it's so green, better safe than sorry.

Peace,
- Sequoia

So I rented a splitter today. Actually, I rented two splitters 'cuz the first one didn't work for beans. I think it had a problem w/ the pump, 'cuz the motor was working fine. The 2nd splitter wuz an Iron & Oak (don't know the tons, prolly 20ish) and it worked fine. I wish I'd taken the first one back sooner (took it back after about 4 hours of nearly fruitless effort). I got almost all of the big rounds / quarters / etc. split, plus the eukie and some of the other stuff. Only two of the "challenging" pieces left. I think I'll put them aside until the next time I need a splitter (hopefully, a long time away w/ rental @ $75 / day). I do have a few 12" or so pine rounds left, but those will split nicely with the maul once they dried out a bit and developed some splitting cracks, as will the smaller pine logs not shown in the pics.

Here are some pics of the piles. The first 3 (I hope) are mostly pine, and last pic (next to house) is eukie - about 3 wheelbarrows worth, which I have since stacked where it will get buried and forgotten 'cuz "everyone says" the eukie takes 2 years to season properly. I also cleared the parts of the piles that were in the driveway, by throwing the wood in what should be my tomatoe patch.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Attachments

• woodpiles1.jpg
    woodpiles1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 242
  • woodpiles3.jpg
    woodpiles3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 261
  • woodpiles2.jpg
    woodpiles2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 211