Cl splitter anybody?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
what do you think? should I look into it?

http://quincy.craigslist.org/grd/2225849827.html

For sale I have a nice gas powered wood splitter it has a 2 speed hydraulic pump and Briggs and Strattion engine on it. It has a 2 inch ball hitch and does a good job. I am asking $675 for it and for more information call 1-660-341-1762

Attachments

• 3k03pa3l45O25Y35S2b2l2bfafff7f7801ab9.jpg
    3k03pa3l45O25Y35S2b2l2bfafff7f7801ab9.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 3k73p53l15Z55S55R3b2lfc4d66cb45b71fe9.jpg
    3k73p53l15Z55S55R3b2lfc4d66cb45b71fe9.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 368
Seems like allot of money for the type. only horizontal. looks like maybe home made.
$900 to $1,000 buys a new one (20+ ton & some nice features) that works horiz/vert at TS.
working height looks to be at the "back breaking" level. Lots of bending over.
Just IMO

run like a scalded dog. You can find one year old Husky 22 ton models on Craigslist for 800.

Yeah dont bother. I have been checking CL for a good splitter for over 1 year. I have come to the conclusion it just is not worth it. The good news is when you buy a new one (I am going for the Huskee 22) and ever want to sell it, it will go quickly and you wont lose much.

Sorry to disagree with everyone, but I would check it out before I ignored it. Does it run? Check the cylinder rod and the valve spool for rust. Any hydraulic leaks? Does the enging smoke?
Check the frame for cracks or poor weld repairs.

If all that stuff is good, offer $500. The quality of the components of this splitter is much higher than that of a huskee. Chances are this splitter will outlast a new chinese one by far.

richg said:
run like a scalded dog. You can find one year old Husky 22 ton models on Craigslist for 800.

" run like a scalded dog" i almost spit my cofee all over my laptop!!!!
'

I wouldn't sell my horizontal only home built splitter for $675. The thing is that it is probably worth a lot more to me than anyone else like the one in the ad seems to be. I probably wouldn't pay more than 4 or 5 bills for it if it works perfectly.

For the money and peace of mind I would spend a few extra dollars and go with a brand-new one . . . now if the price was under $500 or closer to $300 I might reconsider the deal.

you are all pretty much saying what I was thinking. 'cept I'd need it to be more in the 300-400 range to make a used one worth my while.

Looking for splitters on CL is discouraging. The only ones I see in the $300-400 range are old rust buckets that come with flat tires, leaky hydraulic line, and oh almost forgot, needs new motor or hydro pump. But 'built solid' lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.