CL - What you don't want to hear when buying wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
Just spent 20 minutes with a dealer on CL. $250/cord, claiming it is dry and seasoned.

After further investigation, I conclude the wood was cut 3 years ago (mostly oak) and split "last year", which could be 12 months ago, or even 3 weeks ago... The kicker is he offers kindling in the same add for $20/bunch... Should have known.

At the end of the conversation with the guy, who was drunk, I was left with a full lesson on how to burn wet wood. I was told that I need a good coal bed to burn the wood (even though it is dry), and that he has great kindling to help the process. I knew I didn't want his product 30 seconds into the conversation, but he literally spent 20 minutes trying to convince me that he can "teach" me to burn his wood....

Ugh!

Don't worry about that stuff boiling out the ends. Lol. A guy tried to sell me some oak the other day that he split 4-5 weeks ago. Said it was seasoned. I don't call a log sitting on the ground for a year seasoned and I wouldn't buy it at a "seasoned" price.

I thought you want the wood to boil out of the ends so the house air doesn't get to dry. lol

Reactions: EMB5530
I have that for sale as well, discounts for wood that humidifies while it burns, Lol

That's pretty much what's available here.
Some of the landscapers/arborists pile up the logs/round during the year and then when landscaping chores slow down have a couple guys cut and split it to sell. Then lay the guys off for the Winter. (some of ) The guys that have some acreage to do so do.
Here we have a guy with a bulk processor and he buys all that year long hardwood for dirt cheap from the guys that don't want to play the selling firewood game and would otherwise have to pay the town a tipping fee at the dump to dispose of it. Cut/split and stacked seasoned in a 40 foot tall conical pile. That's "seasoned" too.
"Seasoned" is a ambiguous term that really has no value beyond whining/complaining/discussing/beating a dead horse what it should mean.
Influenced by whether you are buyer/seller/semantician.

Status
Not open for further replies.