CL wood seller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta get this off my chest.

Seems to be tougher to find a good wood supplier around here. I am in a triangle of ruralness, and most guys are 30 miles or more away. I have a ton of standing cord that I am working on, but with just having my son born, paired with the leadup to him coming, and the EXTREMELY long winter we just had... my wood supplies suck at the moment.

Was looking on Craigslist for a seller, and I found one who seemed to have a real nice product (debarked). This chap calls out that its free delivery within 20 miles. The price is a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I reach out anyway.

I get him on the phone, and I tell him what I need, and tell him that I work in the town he advertises he is from, and that I am getting about 20.xx miles away to my house. He buffaloes at the price, and I remind him that the ad is still up, and he grumbles, and says he will honor it (guess he has some up on various CL sites).

Well he says hold on and he will figure out mileage. He starts grumbling that I am in another county, and that he wouldnt have offered to delivery to me. 20 miles is 20 miles jerk... what is so hard to understand about that?

I told him I would make sure that his trailer will be able to come up my driveway, and that I would need a few days. I saw his rig driving around town last week and saw that his rear clearance should be fine for the steep portion at the bottom of my driveway.

I reach out to this monkey again and ask him if he could tell me the address where he is delivering from, so I can do the mileage calculation. The prick comes back and says 'Based on our information exchange thus far, I will have to decline.'. Decline what... to sell me wood??

I email the guy back, and he never answers. I check craigslist again and all of his ads are now 20 more per cord, and he cut the delivery zone down to 10 miles. F this guy.

Reactions: D8Chumley
My experience finding a consistent wood supplier that is customer friendly has also been difficult. I think it has something to do with the industry, in that you dont have to be customer friendly to be successful and alot of these operations are only temporary. I think they also operate on tight margins.

another thing that bugs me, everybody runs out by January, which doesn't make sense to me. If you are running a business and your demand is high, wouldn't you want to have the supply to match it in order to maximize your profit?

When he started acting off on the phone, I would have hung up. Life is too short to have to deal with people like that.
It can be difficult to find decent sellers on CL. If you have a local trade paper/free classifieds like the Pennysaver, try that.
Some of the old timers don't advertise online.

One thing about running out by January, sometimes it can be a space issue. Wood stockpiles take up a lot of room and not every
seller has the room for cords and cords of wood. That's part of the reason why its hard to find seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.