Clarence doesn't believe in safety!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WTH. I don't know which was worse the small child next to the open drivetrain or him putting his hand in that deathtrap.
On the upside that thing splits logs like butter.

Good old yankee ingenuity!
This country misses that.
Too many "it's not safe" sissies and not enough
working men.

I wonder how much clearance there really is between the ram and the wedge. Might be just enough clearance for Clarence's skinny arm.

As for safety, what Clarence does to risk his own safety I could care less about, but what bothers me is when there is a small child around and there are all those unguarded belts and moving parts.

I didn't see the child go running up to touch any moving parts, in fact, he looked like he was about paralyzed. I suspect his natural fear of death (via machine or the adults present) overcame his curiosity. It looked safe enough to me, for a person who is mindful of what he is doing.

rathmir said:
I didn't see the child go running up to touch any moving parts, in fact, he looked like he was about paralyzed. I suspect his natural fear of death (via machine or the adults present) overcame his curiosity. It looked safe enough to me, for a person who is mindful of what he is doing.
I grew up on a farm and am no stranger to dangerous machinery. There are however a lot of injuries and three legged dogs on farms.

It's not a machismo thing and one cannot predict how children may put themselves in harm's way. I've seen some serious farm injuries and a close call when my sister drove over my brother's leg with a tractor. My son lost a fingertip when he stuck it where he should not have. That which doesn't kill you can still hurt like hell.

Clarence is a moron.

If you read down the comments, it should be "Clarence WAS a moron" ... the guy who posted it said "Hi all, Clarence was my father. The video was done in 1988. Last November at the age of 86 he passed away and he had both of his hands and arms." I would venture to guess that the little tyke shown in the vid was in fact the poster, now grown.

Just 'cuz neither of them was hurt does not mean that what he was doing was safe. It looks like it could have been made to be safe easily enuf, though. If he had a 4-way or 6-way wedge in that thing, he would not have needed to reach in at all. That, and a clear exit path for the wood ... and keeping kids far from operating machinery.

Anyway, it looks like Clarence dodged that bullet. Let's hope his "kid" is not still using the machine.

Peace,
- Sequoia

How many of you have to don gloves to throw a log
in the stove?
Please, don't answer, I can guess.
Stay on beating poor dead Clarence.

Hey Kenny, maybe you could get a good deal on that splitter.

Dune said:
Hey Kenny, maybe you could get a good deal on that splitter.

I made my own processor that's even more fun than what Clarence has got.
Plus, you only need one arm to run it, just in case. :lol:

Not saying I would run that splitter but hey I'm sure there is not one person on here that has not used something to do whatever that was less than safe at one time or another....I toast his creation...My dad used to fab stuff all the time..Some worked some didn't...You don't see much of it anymore, we seam to be caught up in the "throw away club"...Or "just go and buy it club"...Guess that's why we have become a country of assemblers not manufactures...Not trying to get a rise out of anyone just my 2 cents that all..

Gazdik

kenny chaos said:
working men.

Arborsite is becoming more appealing as of late with all the DIY,political, and hilbilly engineering "poopooing" going on lately at Hearth. Pretty soon you won't be able to legally wipe your ass without steeltoe shoes, an airbag, an operators license and a spotter!

unknowingLEE said:
kenny chaos said:
working men.

Arborsite is becoming more appealing as of late with all the DIY,political, and hilbilly engineering "poopooing" going on lately at Hearth. Pretty soon you won't be able to legally wipe your ass without steeltoe shoes, an airbag, an operators license and a spotter!

Thanks Lee, I needed that.

Did anybody else see the steam powered splitter run off a flywheel? Pretty neat. He should have had a spotter though.

It's an old hay bailer! Good idea for one that isn't being used anymore, I would prefer to have it hooked to PTO tractor. Think it's an old NH super 69 model, hard to tell, but kind of looks like mine.
Agree with everyone else, not the safest thing in the world with the belts and no way to really stop the plunger. I know I sent many a groundhog, turkey, rabbit through my bailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.