Clarification for installing a stove connector to Clydesdale insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepWarmInWinter

Sep 22, 2010
CT
As per installation instructions that came with Clydesdale on page 11:

"Note (at the top of page): With the collar in the aft position - to properly attach the liner or connector to the flue collar using all three screws, you must remove the baffle/plenum and drop the flue collar into the firebox for attachment of the flue liner.
If the baffle/plenum and flue collar do not need to be removed, you can skip to step 7. "

"Note (at the bottom of page): In order to connect the liner to the flue collar properly with three screws when the flue collar is in the aft (default) position, you must remove the baffle/plenum and drop the collar into the firebox. "

The instruction is ambiguous. The first note mentions the connector, the second just the liner.
You can skip step 6 (Remove the baffle/plenum), but under which condition is not clearly stated.
My assumption is that if you have the appropriate appliance connector you do not need to remove the baffle/plenum.
I contacted the ChimneyLinerDepot to confirm my assumption.
The answer is that with the appliance connector that comes with King Flex Liner you can skip step 6.
The connector is added to the bottom of the liner and plugs right into the flue collar.
The connections should be sealed using a fire caulk.

This post is intended for the future DIY installers of Clydesdale insert.
Any additional comments are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Here are links to other threads that discuss this topic:
"Connector required from 6 inch stainless flex liner to flue" by "volemister":
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58040/
"Wood insert appliance connector help" posted by "space cowboy IV": https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/61072/

I just came across your post about the Clydesdale and the appliance connector, and thought I would belatedly throw in my 2 cents worth.

I bought my Clydesdale and SS flex pipe from two different suppliers. I wasn't advised by either that I would need an appliance connector. But on the other hand, I didn't ask about one either.

As you know, the Clydesdale instruction manual does not speak to using an "appliance connector." It implies that one just places the pipe into the flue collar and secures the "liner to the flue collar using three screws." I got to thinking about about how one would go about screwing three screws into SS flex pipe when the insert is pushed back into its operating position. That didn't seem possible to me, or very secure, so I asked and received help from the Hearth.com forum. Posters advised that I buy an appliance connector to connect the SS flex pipe to the insert. I did that and I'm glad I did. I contacted the folks that supplied the SS Flex King Pro and they provided a 6 inch SS appliance connector to fit between the insert and SS flex pipe.

As you suggest, it is not necessary to drop the Clydesdale flue collar into the insert just to connect the SS liner, or in my case the appliance connector. While I had the insert just sitting on the hearth, I applied a good amount of black Rutland Furnace Cement to the end of the connector that would go into the flue collar. I firmly pushed the appliance connector into the flue collar and secured the connector using three SS self taping sheet metal screws (after drilling small pilot holes), Then I immediately placed more Rutland Cement over the screws and flue collar to make an air-tight and solid connection. The Rutland Cement dried hard and solid. I repeated that sequence when I attached the SS flex pipe to the appliance connector, covering that seam with more Rutland Furnace cement.

The bottom line: Hearthstone should improve its instructions to address the use of appliance connectors as it may not always be physically possible to drop the flue collar into the insert and attach the SS screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.