1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

"Clarification" of Effecta Boiler User

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by EffectaBoilerUser (USA), Jan 30, 2012.

1. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Define "water tube" boiler? The EKO uses HX tubes to transfer heat to water. I guess I don't know exactly what definition the state of Michigan proper intended here but since the words are not capitalized it leaves a bit up to interpretation. And as stated above...EKO's are being inspected and are passing in Michigan.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    A water tube is where the water being heated flowes threw the tubes to get heated.

A fire tube (eko) is where the hot flue gases flow threw the tubes to heat the water.

Water tubes can come in much larger sizes than the fire tube
  3. huffdawg

huffdawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    EKO's are fire tube which means the hot exhaust gasses go through tubes surronded by water. water tube boilers are the opposite where water run through tubes that are surronded by the hot exhaust gasses.

Huff
  4. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    A Greenwood is a watertube boiler. If the fire surrounds the outside of tubes filled with water you have a water tube boiler. The EKO is a firetube boiler. I am glad reason is prevailing there Stee. It would be nice if the code was rewritten though, Randy
  5. huffdawg

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    Seems like the above statement is stating that watertube boilers with a relief valve setting above 30 psi and temps that run above 200 °F or put out more than 200,000 btu's are not legal.
  6. huffdawg

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    How long has the effecta lambada boiler been in production Brian?
  7. Singed Eyebrows

Loc:
    Midwest
    No, water tube boilers are exempt from the many rules that are in place. A hobby locomotiove boiler needs to be inspected. lol, Randy
  8. Singed Eyebrows

Loc:
    Midwest
    Now that I have actually read the code for Mich, you are correct. I couldn't find it with a Google search. While this is not unpressurized, they will disregard the static starting pressure, Randy
  9. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Back in the office........

The issue that I have had raised is not with the boiler division. It's in the Mechanical code where section 1004.1 says,

"Boilers shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the requirements of ASME CSD-1 and as applicable, the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code, sections I, II,V and IX; NFPA8502 or NFPA8504

Any boiler that I install as a contractor has to have a mechanical inspection, higher output units or commercial type applications have to have the boiler inspector look at them also.
  10. heaterman

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    The issue is not so much that fact that there is pressure in the system but rather that it is sealed/closed. A circulator will cause a pressure rise in certain parts of the system even if it's "open".
  11. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

The circulator in my open system gives a 1 psi increase when turned on. 35 gpm through 12 ft 1" copper .
  12. Singed Eyebrows

Loc:
    Midwest
    Heaterman, have you heard of owners in Mich. that have been told to discontinue use of a pressure boiler that wasn't ASME? It appears the inspectors are being reasonable, Randy
  13. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Looks like I got lucky on this one. Although there are plenty of inspectors out there that do not know boiler code if in fact we don't qualify. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
  14. heaterman

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Only a couple and that was only because the inspector was involved in the first place. I did not hear the end result in either case as both are far away from my location. It seems that the people in charge do not understand, or choose to ignore the fact that 95% of these units are installed with no permit applied for and therefore no inspection.
    People who burn wood are a resourceful and crafty lot and most install their boiler with no contractor or other professional involvement. (Witness the success of this forum) Nearly all of these things go in with no inspection whatsoever and problems only surface when there is an insurance claim made and no payout is forthcoming.
  15. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    At times it makes going back to an OWB tempting. No worry of insurance or loss other than the boiler sitting out in the yard or field.

Guess that is why they are so appealing to many, basically hassle free.

Gg
  16. heaterman

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Nothing in life is free.
    That lack of hassle comes at the cost of excessive air pollution and poor efficiency plus the fact that we have the EPA involved in our lives because of said "lack of hassle".
  17. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    Don't get me wrong I enjoy my set up with storage. I do get a lot of strange looks from people I know that use owb's. When I explain that I heat for a day on the equivalent weight of 2 13" diameter pieces of oak, all they say is "but you have to split your wood"

They would rather stuff their 40 cubic foot firebox with 10-12 of the same pieces than split 2.

gg