Clarrification on Pine Wood Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miteclipse

Burning Hunk
Mar 8, 2013
Hughesville, MD
Are Pine pellets bad for pellet stoves? Meaning that they cause tar build up within the stove pipe or cause any other issues? Was always told to use hardwood.

Hardwood Blend: Depending on manufacture, is it roughly 50/50 or 80/20 hardwood/pine?

Thanks

Are Pine pellets bad for pellet stoves? Meaning that they cause tar build up within the stove pipe or cause any other issues? Was always told to use hardwood.

Hardwood Blend: Depending on manufacture, is it roughly 50/50 or 80/20 hardwood/pine?

Thanks

With a simple search you will find numerous discussions on this.
Short answer is....
If its wood then its good.

Thanks
That's advise carried over from wood burning stoves. I doesn't apply to pellet stoves, they burn different. Even in wood stove you could burn pine or other sappy woods but you have to know how to do it or it can be a big problem so the advise was always NOT to burn pine. But that goes along with burning any wood in a stove, if you are doing it wrong it will cause problems for you and everyone else using a stove.

If you don't feel good burning them in your pellet stove then don't do it. But not using a pine pellet doesn't limit you to only hardwood pellets, there are many very good softwood pellets that are not pine.

That's advise carried over from wood burning stoves. I doesn't apply to pellet stoves, they burn different. Even in wood stove you could burn pine or other sappy woods but you have to know how to do it or it can be a big problem so the advise was always NOT to burn pine. But that goes along with burning any wood in a stove, if you are doing it wrong it will cause problems for you and everyone else using a stove.

If you don't feel good burning them in your pellet stove then don't do it. But not using a pine pellet doesn't limit you to only hardwood pellets, there are many very good softwood pellets that are not pine.

Just want to add... i burn pine in my woodstove daily. Its the airtight stoves that accumulate the problems.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Softwoods tend to burn hotter and cleaner in pellet stoves than hardwoods. Some of the best pellets you can buy are pine. Im a huge fan of douglas fir.

Softwoods tend to burn hotter and cleaner in pellet stoves than hardwoods. Some of the best pellets you can buy are pine. Im a huge fan of douglas fir.

I watched a short video of coal pellets being made yesterday.. that would be interesting adding coal into the wood mix.
A link to a good article on hardwood vs softwood in relation to pellet production and composition. http://www.allaboutwoodpellets.com/hardwood_softwood.php

Although i do not entirely agree with that article it does give good general idea.

Never use PINE
BAD for you
And if you believe this I have a nice bridge I'd like to
sell Cheep mind you it is in New York
And send me all your pine pellets

Cleanfire Softwoods are all I've burned for the last two winters...11+ Tons of em.
I've just started m 5th consecutive ton of Okanagan DF. Prior to that it was 4 years of Okanagan Platinums (12+ tons of them).

Status
Not open for further replies.