class A 6" dbl wall insulated pipe (chimney)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjwalters

Jun 2, 2015
ohio
I have an existing manufactured (6" stainless pipe encased in insulation and walled) chimney installed . . . it is for a wood burning stove. I am thinking of purchasing a cast iron free standing gas stove to replace the wood burner. . . The chimney has an arm that extends through the wall and into the room already so it will be a short hookup . . . is there a problem with buying a b vent stove and adapting it to fit the 6" existing pipe?

I know a direct vent stove won't work, but haw about a b vent stove?

and if it will what would the difference be in efficiency between the one cast iron vs the direct vent one. . . . beings that they are both pretty much the same.

thank you for any reply

I have an existing manufactured (6" stainless pipe encased in insulation and walled) chimney installed . . . it is for a wood burning stove. I am thinking of purchasing a cast iron free standing gas stove to replace the wood burner. . . The chimney has an arm that extends through the wall and into the room already so it will be a short hookup . . . is there a problem with buying a b vent stove and adapting it to fit the 6" existing pipe?

If you can find a B-Vent unit that the manufacturer has tested & approved for that type of venting configuration, you will be fine.

I know a direct vent stove won't work, but how about a b vent stove?

See comment above...

and if it will what would the difference be in efficiency between the one cast iron vs the direct vent one. . . . beings that they are both pretty much the same.

The efficiency has nothing to do with the material of the stove body.
Effieiency is based on how well the burner converts fuel into usable heat.
B-Vent units & Direct Vent units are all rated at about 75% efficiency.

thank you for any reply

Status
Not open for further replies.