Class A and stove pipe sold at Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asylum575

Feb 3, 2009
NY
I was in a lowes in NW NJ over the weekend and saw they had a pretty good inventory on class A chimney pipe. I live in NYS and would like to do some more research before going back to pick some up. I didn't note the manufacturer, I know it wasn't Duraplus or DuraVent.

Anyone know the brand of chimney pipe Lowes may sell?

It's Selkirk Class A chimney. IIRC - comes in 36", 24", 6", maybe 12" lengths. Plus they have a "kit" box - ceiling support box, attic insulation shield, flashing, trim ring, rain cap. I installed one - seemed hard before and during install, seems easy in retrospect. Buy locking bands for eash Class A-Class A junction.

Thanks, I'll try to swing out that way this weekend. I'll pick up the chimney pipe now and will be going to a local home show this weekend. I'll see what they have and make an offer on a display stove this weekend. A buddy of mine this and saved some serious cash. Better to sell a display stove at the show than lug it back to the shop.

Bring a Lowe's 10% off coupon and save some extra money on the Class A pipe. You can usually find them on eBay for a reasonable price.

I usually try to buy my coupons from this person. She will e-mail it to you in usually a day. Just print it out and take it to the store:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAST-DELIVERY-1-Lowes-10-OFF-Coupon-Lowes-Free-Ship_W0QQitemZ370151820788QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Gift_Certificates?hash=item370151820788&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

jnthuskers said:
Does Lowes carry 10" Class A pipe ?

Never seen 10" there...only 6" and 8"...and alot more 6".

I second the statement on the crappy single wall black connector pipe at Lowes. I had a hell of a time getting mine together.

The Class-A that they sell is Selkirk SuperVent. I was happy with it. It's a decent product. Make sure they have everything you need before you start. Just be aware that Lowes and Menards are the only ones in the US that sell that particular line of Selkirk products, and it will take approximately 3 weeks to special order any part that they do not stock. While Selkirk makes SuperPro and Metalbestos, the parts are not interchangeable. Some parts are physically compatible between the different product lines, but Selkirk customer service was very specific with me when they told me that using a part from another product line that isn't specifically referenced in the manual for the line you're using WILL void the warranty.

-SF

Thanks for the info on the parts. The Lowes I was at had the thru the wall kit and plenty of sections for my 21' run. They only had about 3 locking bands and I'm guessing I would need about 7. I'll see if Lowes can special order it for me. It's a little out of the way, but it's a considerable discount compared to what I can get locally.

The bands are a common item that will be easier to locate. If you have a Menard's in your area, check with them too.

Independent hardware dealers (like Ace) generally carry the metalbestos line in their catalog, and professional installers usually carry the SuperPro line.

If you give Selkirk a call, they can tell you if the bands are the same item across all three of their product lines.

-SF

The price difference is significant compared to other suppliers around here; is there a significant difference in the quality?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.