Class A Brand ID - Metalbestos?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
In trying to ID the brand of this I went to a local masonry dealer, Menard's, and TSC. The masonry dealer thought this might be Metalbestos, which they used to carry (but can't get any more). From my trip, I've at least figured out it's not whatever brand the masonry place carries, not Supervent (Menard's), and not Simpson triple wall (TSC).

It's 8" Class A. Anyone think it's Metalbestos? Once I confirm, I can figure out what parts I need for an improvement, and where to get them.

Thanks in advance,

John

Attachments

• Class A Detail.jpg
    Class A Detail.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 318
FYI, I sent a note to Selkirk customer service on this. Hopefully they give this photo a look.

Hopefully, Selkirk will contact you. I bought a stove with 6" metalbestos chimney - it was cathedral mount and I needed horizontal mount. I went to only dealer in town to price 1 x 36" chimney, CSB and attic insulation shield. They were older model and to get those 3 parts was 2x the price of a complete Selkirk Supervent chimney system. Old chimney parts be dang precious! Sorry, don't remember if it looked like yours.

Well, it looks like it's not Selkirk. Here's what I got back from them -

"Our representatives at our Selkirk distributor don't recognize this pipe. Also, it looks too thin to be insulated class A pipe and the inside is badly glazed with creosote. I would recommend replacing this pipe."

I see the point about the creosote. Intent is to get this working for this year, and then put in a liner in the off-season to reduce buildup. As for the pipe thickness, it looks identical to the Supervent Class A (at Menards) other than the number of locking tabs. In fact, I'm more than 1/2 thinking about finding a halfway decent method for mating the pipes...

Looks like I need to send a note to some more manufacturers first.

Well, mating 2 different brands/models of pipe is STRONGLY discouraged. You surely don't want 1500-2000f deg air (like in a chimney fire) escaping non optimal mated junctions. I'd say sell this on CL and buy new matching chimney. Check your big box stores - best price I found on Selkirk Supervent.

dougand3 said:
Well, mating 2 different brands/models of pipe is STRONGLY discouraged. You surely don't want 1500-2000f deg air (like in a chimney fire) escaping non optimal mated junctions. I'd say sell this on CL and buy new matching chimney. Check your big box stores - best price I found on Selkirk Supervent.

Understood. It's not something I can sell, though, as it's cemented into my wall. So, if I can't find its mate, I would need to tear it out somehow and start over. Much more work than just adding on a short section of the right brand. If I can't find the right brand, I may call a local pro for a quote on making it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.