Class A chimney install below grade.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
I have been in the planning process of installing a liner in my masonary block chimney but keep running into problems (price).
My exit through my basement stone wall is about 6"below grade. Im trying to find some info on how to switch over to class A pipe and do away with the masonary chimney all to together. I have looked at wall supports but not sure about the Tee being below grade. Do they make a support that you can continue with pipe below the support? The class A has always been my first choice but this problem has me stumped.
My new furnace should arrive this week so im a little behind the ball as usual.
Thanks everyone.

HJsimpson said:
I have been in the planning process of installing a liner in my masonary block chimney but keep running into problems (price).
My exit through my basement stone wall is about 6"below grade. Im trying to find some info on how to switch over to class A pipe and do away with the masonary chimney all to together. I have looked at wall supports but not sure about the Tee being below grade. Do they make a support that you can continue with pipe below the support? The class A has always been my first choice but this problem has me stumped.
Thanks everyone.

I had a similar issue. My stove is in the basement and vents thru class A pipe. I ran the pipe through a basement window, which is just about level with the grade. In order to get it to work, I dug a hole about 36" wide, 24" deep, and 24" away from the house and installed the support bracket, and a T. I formed up some boards and poured concrete walls around the bracket (with the thought in mind that I could build a chase around it someday).

I made sure I left enough room to remove the cap from the T for cleaning. It isn't a great setup, but it works.

lukem said:
HJsimpson said:
Thanks everyone.

I had a similar issue. My stove is in the basement and vents thru class A pipe. I ran the pipe through a basement window, which is just about level with the grade. In order to get it to work, I dug a hole about 36" wide, 24" deep, and 24" away from the house and installed the support bracket, and a T. I formed up some boards and poured concrete walls around the bracket (with the thought in mind that I could build a chase around it someday).

I made sure I left enough room to remove the cap from the T for cleaning. It isn't a great setup, but it works.

I only had to go about 6" down. But my stove is in the basement also. Screwed up a bunch of 2x4's to get my 9" needed to clearn my Overhang/eve, Tap-con's and some 4x4 Brackets (Painted the wood and everything CHROME/To try and blend it in and to Protect the wood, even though it Pressure treated) I Put Some Pavers in the bottom. I am working on laying Pavers across the entire bottom and up the sides today. Still enough room to fit my Oil Change Tub underneath.

Attachments

• Basement install 5.jpg
    Basement install 5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 10,131
  • Framing support 1.jpg
    Framing support 1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,850
  • Framing support 2.jpg
    Framing support 2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,438
You will need to create a good working space for the installation. Be generous when digging it out. The bracket could be anchored to the foundation. If that's difficult due to the structure, then perhaps the bracket could be placed above the tee as shown in this DuraVent installation manual diagram. When done, use a basement window well with a good 6" of coarse gravel base so that you get good drainage and protection. Or you could make your own window well out of cement block, roman wall stone, etc.

Don't forget to keep the thimble low enough to assure correct ceiling clearances on the basement side. That is 8" for double-wall pipe and 18" for single-wall.

Attachments

• duravent tee support.jpg
    duravent tee support.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,298
Thanks BeGreen for the diagram. Thats what i needed to know if i can place the tee below the wall support. My foundation is big stone and was going to be a pain to anchor the support too. i will have about 19" clearance above single wall pipe but to be a little on safe side i covered ceiling in basement with 1/2 Durock spaced 1" below joist. I will have to dig down about 3' to have room for everything including gravel.

HJsimpson said:
Thanks BeGreen for the diagram. Thats what i needed to know if i can place the tee below the wall support. My foundation is big stone and was going to be a pain to anchor the support too. i will have about 19" clearance above single wall pipe but to be a little on safe side i covered ceiling in basement with 1/2 Durock spaced 1" below joist. I will have to dig down about 3' to have room for everything including gravel.

I anchored my bracket directly to the block foundation with tapcons...and it is very solid...holds two grown men with budging (that was our crude stability test). If you anchor it to the stone, make sure you hit stone and not the grout/mortar.

Good luck...once you get into it you'll probably find it isn't as bad as you think.

lukem,
I wish i could attach directly to foundation but it is not a flat surface with all of the stones being round on the face. If i can install the support above the tee i can attach to the 14 X 14 sill plate which i know will be plenty strong. I dont have any windows on that wall to run out so im trying to use the original hole because the foundation is 26" thick. If it was concrete it would be tough but i cant imangine going through over 2 feet of 12" stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.