Class A chimney install - how difficult?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knots

Minister of Fire
Mar 13, 2013
Alfred, Maine
Well - I'm in my new house and own a wood stove in a crate. I even have a couple of cords of dry firewood. What I don't have is a chimney!

The house is a one-story ranch and the stove will be in the basement. Already have an enclosure going through the master bedroom closet for the chimney. It's a straight shot up and will go through the roof near the peak.

It looks like getting someone to do the job this time of year will be next to impossible. The stove shop said they'd sell me the specific brand of pipe I want.

So - how hard is it to do the install? I'm reasonably handy and have a good amount of tools. DSC02122.JPG

Your install seems similar to mine, except my stove is in the living room, (hope you have an insulated basement, or you
may be disappointed).

If you are reasonably handy it should not be too hard. I did the all the work on my install myself. I took my time, read the directions, measured carefully and it turned out well.:) Drill and sawz-all for the most part are all the tools you need.
You can read more and see some pics here.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/regency-in-the-house-f1100-install-with-pics.25159/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/regency-in-the-house-f1100-install-with-pics-cont.25160/

Reactions: Knots
Its not hard, just follow the manufacturers schematics and observe clearances, you will need a second set of hands though.

Not too bad a job, Knots, but I'd advise you to get another body to help you.
Class A chimney components can get pretty heavy when assembled.
From the pic, it looks like you have a an attic of some sort & I assume you
can access the top of the chimney chase there. First thing I'd do is drop a
plumb line to verify that it lines up top to bottom.
Once that's done you can layout the location for the support box in your basement
ceiling, & install it. according to the instructions. All of the manufacturers give
pretty detailed steps with their chimney components. If you find one that doesn't
tell you EXACTLY how the components need to be installed, pick another one...
From the support box you can build your system until you get close to the underside
of the roof sheathing. You can then layout the centerline of the pipe & drill a pilot
hole through to the outside. Use that hole as a guide for the flashing installation.
Search through this site & you will find that there are pretty detailed descriptions
submitted by the folks who have done installs. If you run into snags or have questions,
we're here...

DuraVent has a good installation guide. Go to the Literature tab here to download:
http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=1

This will go smoothly if you are reasonably handy, patient, detail oriented and careful at measuring. You will need a ceiling support box for the basement ceiling and a firestop at the bedroom/attic junction. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to stop if something doesn't make sense. And be sure to meet or exceed all clearance requirements.

Keep in mind that because of the roof pitch, you aren't cutting a round hole. When I marked mine, I taped a sharpie to the side of my 2"x4' level. After I had the pipe up close, I used the level to make sure the pipe was plumb, and went around the pipe and made a line on the underside of the roof with the sharpie. Actually, I made a bunch of small marks and connected the dots. This gave me an elliptical hole with the proper clearance.

You will also get an instruction book in each box of ventis stuff

You will also get an instruction book in each box of ventis stuff

Good to know.

Here's what I'm working with in the basement ceiling:

IMG_0444.jpg

Class-A-chimney-installation-exterior.jpg

I dont know much about Class A chimnies, but wouldn't this be an easier way to go with a ranch?

It can be, but the straight shot up has always worked better for me than one with 2 90 degree turns.

Selkirk provided great instructions with their kit.

I dont know much about Class A chimnies, but wouldn't this be an easier way to go with a ranch?

Maybe, but the house was designed with a chase near the middle, so I'm going to use it. It puts the stove in the center and near the stairway.

Status
Not open for further replies.