Class A Chimney Install Q's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2008
Ohio
Hi Folks-

Long time since I've posted here, as everything has been going smoothly with my home's woodburner. However, I have a new project, and a couple of Q's to make sure I am doing things right. I have a workshop with about 1280 sq. ft. of interior space that I want to heat with wood. A few years ago I bought one of the NC-13 stoves from Lowes, got an awesome deal on it. I'm just now getting around to the install. (I know) I bought one of the usual "flat ceiling" install kits and the needed class A chimney sections. The workshop has a 2nd floor, unheated, that is just open storage. The ceiling/floor joists are 12" engineered beams on 24" centers. I constructed a box for the chimney to pass through and have it all installed, I think, properly with the minimum clearances of about 2 1/4" on all sides. I'm attaching a few photos below. I guess my main question is, does anybody see any red flags? A secondary question is, I have a sheet of 2" thick high temp ceramic insulation. Should I put any of that around the pipe where it passes thru the floor, or just leave it open? I'm going to use the attic insulation shield as shown, to keep anything from falling into that hole against the pipe. Yay or nay? Thanks.

stove.sized.jpg

chimney_003.sized.jpg

chimney_004.sized.jpg

chimney_005.sized.jpg

Hello, I would not put insulation around the pipe. I was told not to because it can make the combustable's hotter because of the insulation. The shield is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.